Help Building Potable Gaming PC

Joder921

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
So, I've had a cruddy, old laptop for a while now, that can barely play any of the games that I'd like. So I decided to build an actual gaming PC. I made a list of all the parts that are around what I'd want. I didn't want anything crazy expensive, because im only 14 and have no job.

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($149.99 @ TigerDirect)
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS5X Performa CPU Cooler ($17.99 @ Mwave)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($47.49 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($63.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk ReadyCache 32GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($39.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($175.38 @ Newegg)
Case: Xion XON-720P_BK MicroATX Slim Case w/300W Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($82.98 @ OutletPC)
Keyboard: HP Elite v2 Keyboard Wireless Standard Keyboard ($27.75 @ Mwave)
Total: $742.50

My limit is around $800. The main game that I'd love to run on full graphics at 60 fps, is Civilization 5. (I plan on Overclocking! Do I have proper cooling?)

Please disregard the case from above. I actually have no Idea of what case to buy. As long as it is semi-portable. (Like, having it in a carrying case or something). I'd bring this over to my friends house, (maybe once a week) so that's why it needs to be portable.

This will be the first PC I'm building, so tell me if I'm missing anything!

Anyways if you guys can give me any suggestions about hardware, and especially the case, it would be much appreciated.

Heres the link for a better view
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2BVGA

(P.S. I'm almost solid about the possessor.)
(P.S.S If it could support CrossFire that would be awesome)

-Joder

Solution
That list looks great, except for the case. The PNY GTX 660 is 10" long, and I found this in a user review from the Amazon page about the Silverstone PS08B:

Cons:
- VERY cramped inside with NO cable management.
- Says it supports 14.1 inch long cards...FALSE. The longest graphics card you can fit inside is 9 INCHES, because of the limitation of the opening between the back of case and the walls of the HDD cage. My 8.75 inch long graphics card barely fits inside. Don't even think about SLI or Crossfire, because you'll choke your graphics card - no space for airflow if you have two cards stacked on top of each other. The image on the Silverstone site showing this is a joke.

allocco91

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 760K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($89.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master GeminII M4 58.4 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($32.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($15.16 @ Mwave)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($82.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $805.03
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-15 20:31 EST-0500)

That list looks great, except for the case. The PNY GTX 660 is 10" long, and I found this in a user review from the Amazon page about the Silverstone PS08B:

Cons:
- VERY cramped inside with NO cable management.
- Says it supports 14.1 inch long cards...FALSE. The longest graphics card you can fit inside is 9 INCHES, because of the limitation of the opening between the back of case and the walls of the HDD cage. My 8.75 inch long graphics card barely fits inside. Don't even think about SLI or Crossfire, because you'll choke your graphics card - no space for airflow if you have two cards stacked on top of each other. The image on the Silverstone site showing this is a joke.

Solution

allocco91

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013

JEEZE, what a bunch of liars.

Personal experience: I bought an SG05 a few months ago for an ITX build. It says REAL BIG ON THE BOX that it supports 10" cards. Well, I get the build together, run it for a few days. Then, one day, I decide to throw my EAH4870 in it for the hell of it. All 9.5" of it, and it was physically impossible to connect the power connectors. I had to cut the VGA bracket.

Joder921

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
Thanks for the input!
so the case that aevm suggested, looks too big. I thought i saw one that was 8 by 8 by 8 (or something close) that looked cool. Similar to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSOxvwbke9w.

Also, the ssd is only for the operating system, i have a 1TB drive for everything else.

One more thing I should mention. I would love it if i could partition the hard drive to have the Steam Machine version on Lunix, so i could have my own steam machine (kinda)!

Thanks allocco! the case you showed looks closer to what I'm getting at. I just don't want to lug around a giant PC. although the limitations aevm mentioned are not good. If we could find a semi-portable case that has good airflow/cooling, that would be awesome.
Thanks for the input on the items, and I might consider them, but the processor I mentioned is most likely going to be in there (unless it requires a crazy big motherboard that would make the case huge :|...)
I would be willing to change the graphics card to something different so it would fit, and change the mother board so it could support crossfire, btw

Thanks for the help!

-Joder

So, you want a case that is 8" x 8" x 8" on the outside and fits a 10" GPU on the inside. It's going to be tough. If you succeed you will get the Nobel Prize in physics, LOL. And you'll make billions in the shoe business - all women dream of buying shoes that are small outside and large inside.

allocco91

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
You should check out a case like this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163231

That's as small as you're going to get with a full size graphics card. If the power connections of the card are on top, you can fit up to 10.38" if I remember correctly. I'm a small guy, and I could carry it at my side with one arm like it was nothing.

525x700px-LL-a2c3bd72_IMG_0355.jpeg

Joder921

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
Thank you! this is very close to what i'm going for, however this needs to support a Micro-ITX with AM3+ cpu socket. I would be fine going bigger, just, hopefully, as small as possible.

allocco91

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013

Put the model number. There's no product.

Joder921

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
Sorry, its the SG03, however I found that this costs too much, and it is only being made in silver (not as good as black).
I might look at the other SG0# models. they look nice.