Question [help] burnt condensator on gtx 970

Nov 29, 2022
Hello,

I have a serious issue with my GPU, that I discovered after a long troubleshooting.
I also have to excuse for my bad english, I'm a foreign speaker.

Let me first introduce the genesis of the trouble : since few weeks, I noticed that when i boot up my computer (see the bottom of the message to know my config) only 8 out of 16 gigs of ram where used by windows 7.
The "msconfig" manipulation works, when I untick the box and reboot. But each day, I have to boot one time, untick, then reboot. Not a big deal, pretty fast.(when I just work I don't reboot of course, 8 gigs is already good)
But one day, as I was rebooting to get access to the full power of my PC, The PC refuse to reboot.

A long troubleshoot session after (I spare you the details), I see that a tiny condensator near the part that goes in PCI-E slot as burn, and so a small part of the PCB.
In fact, when the GPU (gtx 970) is plugged to MOBO via PCI-E, I can't boot, but if plug in my old gtx 560 ti, it works, and if I plug nothing in PCI-E slot, it boot too.

The GPU is a gtx 970 , I never ovrclocked, and I never play more than 2 hours straight, so I guess no luck.

But the question are :

1)What can I do, I have learn on the net that it is probably a Ceramic SMD capacitor 10 uF 16V, can you confirm me that? And can you put a link for stuff I have to buy, cause I'm a bit lost in electronic pieces.
(It's the condensator number C777)

2) Since a bit of PCB is burnt, does the GPU is f** up? Or can I clean with isopropyl alcool the PCB and pray?

3) I don't have any solder tools. Is it possible do go to oven strategy, and remove after the piece with a tiny clamp the condensator while the solding is melted?
Or is a classic solder iron enough to work, since it's really small stuff in here?
I ask that because buying a big air gun (+accessories) , would cost the half of a second hand gtx 970, and would not mean I will recover back my GPU..

4) Is it better to replace the condensator with another, or try without, once pcb is clean?

pictures at : https://postimg.cc/gallery/Kxzq8hH

config : asus m5a87
gtx 970 (msi)
AmD FX-8350
16 g ram DDR3 (4bars)
old antec 550 W gold that i plane to swipe soon

Thanks a lot guy for helping me!

Thanks guys and have a nice day

Moctezuma

Nov 18, 2022
Clean it well with some flux and put on a 0.22uf cap 0402 all the ones arround are the same.
I you have a spare card, i think that those caps over the line of the line pci slot are always 0.22uf caps on almost all cards.
Those caps are for the data lines, so without them tha card won't work i think..

You should have a fine tip soldering iron and some good flux and solder to do that..
Since the component is very small it will be very dificult without it

A heat gun makes it easier but without a proper one you can blow away components

Do not try to put it on the oven pls XD

I found this incredibly cheap soldering station, i think it will be good enouh to do it without spending too much money:
soldering station

some tin: tin

and some flux: some flux

If you never did soldering jobs, you can watch some videos on yt an try on an scrap pcb or something before doing it on the 970

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022
Clean it well with some flux and put on a 0.22uf cap 0402 all the ones arround are the same.
I you have a spare card, i think that those caps over the line of the line pci slot are always 0.22uf caps on almost all cards.
Those caps are for the data lines, so without them tha card won't work i think..

You should have a fine tip soldering iron and some good flux and solder to do that..
Since the component is very small it will be very dificult without it

A heat gun makes it easier but without a proper one you can blow away components

Do not try to put it on the oven pls XD

I found this incredibly cheap soldering station, i think it will be good enouh to do it without spending too much money:
soldering station

some tin: tin

and some flux: some flux

If you never did soldering jobs, you can watch some videos on yt an try on an scrap pcb or something before doing it on the 970

Thanks a lot mate! your advices are precious