Help Bypassing Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogbaby24

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
Ok here's my story... I have 2 WD MyBooks one has 500gb storage and the other 1tb. The 500gb is over 6 years old but has been broken 4 of those years...lol. The 1tb is only a couple years old but just last year the mini usb port spontaneously separated from the internal bridge board. I know... bummer. Just the other day I came up with the idea to breach the enclosures of both Mybooks and swap the HD's to be able to access the data on the working 1tb HD since it just had a busted enclosure and the HD was fine. So at this point I have my 1tb MyBook HD in my 500gb's enclosure and can connect it via USB to my computer. When I connect it to my win7 laptop it recognizes the connection but does not show a drive in Computer however in Disk Management I can see the drive but its asking me to initialize it and I don't want to go that route just yet. After doing some research I found that this could be linked to an encryption on the MyBooks USB to SATA bridgeboard not by me but by a company called Initio. I assumed that this could be an issue when I first attempted the swap but figured since both enclosures and HD's are manufactured by the same company it should work.. not! At this point I've tried several different softwares to try and recognize the files but none have worked. My question is, is there ANY way possible to be able to access my data within my "special" rig? Second question, I know I have the option of purchasing a SATA to SATA cable or SATA to USB adapter cable since I only have a laptop but before I make that purchase will it allow me to access the data on my HD? Initially the data had to pass through encryption before it was transferred to the MyBook so I wonder if the only way to access the data is by fixing the same enclosure that contained that encryption. HEEELLLLLP!!!!!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Discussions on how to bypass security measures are not allowed on Tom's Forums. We have no way to verify your story or that you are authorized to access these drives.

I would suggest you contact WD tech support for assistance.

http://support.wdc.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.