Question HELP! can i install amd adrenalin on my external drive?

Aug 20, 2023
i recently bought a new rx 5600 xt GPU and i have to install amd adrenalin for it however i dont have enought storage space on my C drive, can i install it onto my 4tb WESTERN DIGITAL external drive??

Solution
i have 2.99gb free space on my C drive (its originaly a 120gb ssd) and when i try to install my gpu drivers from amd adrenalin it says there is not enough disk space.
View: https://imgur.com/a/sgBgxfn
You need a bigger drive.
Period.

3GB free space is FAR too little for the OS drive.
Especially on an SSD.

Not being able to install this application is but a small issue.
You are killing the performance and lifespan of that drive.

USAFRet

Titan
i recently bought a new rx 5600 xt GPU and i have to install amd adrenalin for it however i dont have enought storage space on my C drive, can i install it onto my 4tb WESTERN DIGITAL external drive??
If your current C drive, the OS drive, is lacking enough free space to install a trivial program like the AMD thing...you have major issues.

Fix that before installing this application on some other drive.

To start...lets see a screencap of your current Disk Management window.

I'd normally suggest installing and running WinDirStat, but given your question, that may be problematic.

Reactions: gamingfreakpcgeek
Aug 20, 2023
If your current C drive, the OS drive, is lacking enough free space to install a trivial program like the AMD thing...you have major issues.

Fix that before installing this application on some other drive.

To start...lets see a screencap of your current Disk Management window.

I'd normally suggest installing and running WinDirStat, but given your question, that may be problematic.
i have 2.99gb free space on my C drive (its originaly a 120gb ssd) and when i try to install my gpu drivers from amd adrenalin it says there is not enough disk space.

USAFRet

Titan
You need a bigger drive.
Period.

Especially on an SSD.

Solution
Aug 20, 2023
You need a bigger drive.
Period.

Especially on an SSD.

yeah i know lol but will adrenalin work on an external drive until i upgrade my main drive? and also can i transfer my windows file onto a different drive when i get 1? like all my files to a new drive? cuz im going to upgrade to atleast a 500gb 1 soon and set it as my c drive if i can.

USAFRet

Titan
yeah i know lol but will adrenalin work on an external drive until i upgrade my main drive? and also can i transfer my windows file onto a different drive when i get 1? like all my files to a new drive? cuz im going to upgrade to atleast a 500gb 1 soon and set it as my c drive if i can.
Will that application work on a drive other than the OS drive?
Unknown. Especially an external thing.

Later, can you migrate your current OS to a larger drive?
Probably.

Reactions: gamingfreakpcgeek
Aug 20, 2023
Will it "hurt"?
Probably won't break anything.

If it actually works, it will be much much slower than it should be.
Affecting gameplay, etc.
oh ok. and if i update my gpus drivers without intalling the actual adrenaline software will it be smalelr and take up less space on my C drive since adrenalin wont take up extra space?