Question Help, card doesnt fit.

exzou

Commendable
Dec 4, 2018
I've got an old HP Pavilion 570-p013wb which is holding me over till i can piece-meal a new PC. I got my graphics card and I'd like to start using it in the mean time. I purchased a Radeon RX580 and it wont fit into this PC I'm using. The case is riveted shut on the back side of the mobo so in order to mod this case I'd need to destroy it and replace it with a new case ($$$ I don't have yet). The biggest issue is that it appears theres a large brick behind the PCI-E slot, so I'm not even sure it will go into the slot if I go as far as butchering the case. What thoughts on solutions do y'all have? (just want to play Monster Hunter World for the time being. not even sure if my Proc will handle it with the gpu added in)

View: https://imgur.com/4rCYJIc

View: https://imgur.com/q8HD00O

View: https://imgur.com/ywQDBj6
View: https://imgur.com/eFcSbJa

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Unfortunately limited to what you can run in this PC. Motherboard design doesn't allow two slot cards and 180w power supply isn't enough to operate an Rx580, need at least a quality 450w.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskt...-Card-for-HP-Pavilion-570-p013wb/td-p/6706078

Oem power supplies aren't known to be good quality. Best you could probably do is return the 580 for low profile Rx 550 or GT 1030 powered by pcie slot only. Rx 580 requires an external 6 or 8 pin pcie plug(s) which that power supply wouldn't have.

exzou

Commendable
Dec 4, 2018
i have the power supply for the PC i plan to build. It's an EVGA 650 gq 80+ gold. Would there be a way to jury-rig it into a new case? From the pics i posted my main concern though is the black (what i believe to be, again, PC is riveted shut) 24 pin power connector directly behind the PCI-e slot.

I guess my updated questions is:
Is there an inexpensive work around which will allow me to hook all this up, in a new case if need be, and get this getto machine rocking before i finish building my final project.

Or is that ATX 24 pin connector in the way regardless.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Which model 580 is it?

24pin and usb 3 front header will probably be in the way.

Regarding the case, you'd have to look at the service manual to find out how to get inside.

c05511823.jpg

exzou

Commendable
Dec 4, 2018
I took a closer look and it is in fact the USB front header. Would it be possible to remove that with a dremel? or would severing those circuits cause other issues. Also, I heard there might be options for hooking a video card up through USB-C, but i haven't found anything definitive.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I took a closer look and it is in fact the USB front header. Would it be possible to remove that with a dremel? or would severing those circuits cause other issues. Also, I heard there might be options for hooking a video card up through USB-C, but i haven't found anything definitive.

God no, no dremels please. You might get away by unplugging the usb 3 header. But there's also front audio header as well on the left. What model graphics card is it?

USBc is sometimes optional on some laptops for means of connecting an external monitor but in your situation wont help. If your graphics card does have USBc, the card still needs to be connected to the pcie slot and then you would think about how to transmit video to your monitor from USBc to whichever video port your monitor takes. Not worth the hassle.

exzou

Commendable
Dec 4, 2018
God no, no dremels please. You might get away by unplugging the usb 3 header. But there's also front audio header as well on the left. What model graphics card is it?

USBc is sometimes optional on some laptops for means of connecting an external monitor but in your situation wont help. If your graphics card does have USBc, the card still needs to be connected to the pcie slot and then you would think about how to transmit video to your monitor from USBc to whichever video port your monitor takes. Not worth the hassle.

sorry, I was referring to pci-e to usb-c adapters.

exzou

Commendable
Dec 4, 2018
Thats the one. Ill have to look up the service options to make sure im not missing something but it appears to be riveted shut frm the back preventing the mobo from being removed (easily).

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Cut out a bit of cardboard 27cm long and 4cm wide. Mark where the pcie slot connector is then see if the cardboard hits anything.

Thats the one. Ill have to look up the service options to make sure im not missing something but it appears to be riveted shut frm the back preventing the mobo from being removed (easily).

Which side of the case are you attempting to remove the motherboard? The side which you took photos of, that's the correct side. The other side would not be possible.

If you are planning on a new case, you will eventually have to remove the motherboard from this case.
I guarantee you the maker did not rivet the motherboard into the case.

Assembling all outside is a normal procedure when building a new pc.
It is called "breadboarding"
Outside the case makes it easier to test and replace parts.

You do not need a usb3.0 device initially.
If you need to use it in your new case, there are low profile usb and sata adapters available for not much.

I might also add that your case seems to have little ventilation, making it unsuitable for a hot graphics card like a 570.
On a new case, look for one with at least two front 120/140mm intake fans(preferably with a filter)

exzou

Commendable
Dec 4, 2018
Love the cardboard idea.

New set of issues.

I figured out how to get the CD drive out granting me the room to remove the mobo.

Mobo is BTX so I won't be able get a new case cheaply, or quickly. My graphics card is bigger than the case so I'd need a new case. Suggestions on a cheap temporary fix, other than buying a new card?

Here's Better view of the inside without the CD drive.

View: https://imgur.com/ufr2pNz

boju

Titan
Ambassador
So did the cardboard convince you nothing important on the motherboard will get in the way like the 24pin? Hate to see you go through all this trouble and have it not work out.

Can you put the card in and leave the side panel off? Or is the card too long?

Assembling the guts outside the case as suggested would be the only other way if case simply wont accommodate.

Or wait till you can get a whole new system.

exzou

Commendable
Dec 4, 2018
I didn't try the cardboard idea, but I do love it for the future. The graphics card is actually longer than the outside of the case.

I'm also wondering if the graphics card needs to be designed for a BTX mobo. I have an older smaller card which physically should for but doesn't. I'm also wondering if that means the pins on the card are reversed.

Any one know much about BTX hardware?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Oems like Hp/Dell still use Btx style boards, don't know why, btx was canned long ago. The pcie slot is the same.

So even if you manage to remove the motherboard, you're still not 100% sure the card would fit properly. Taking a chance are you?

exzou

Commendable
Dec 4, 2018
If I'm going to go as far as taking the mobo out to test it I want to know I've got a case it will all go into should it all work. I'd be even more annoyed knowing it works but isn't usable because I don't have a case to put it in. I'm personally not a fan of long term use outside of the case. Great for testing, not for using (imo). If I do take it out it'll be tomorrow though. To late for another project lol

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I just realised something, your motherboard isn't btx, it's atx.

Look here at the comparison picture. Your io ports (mouse keyboard, video etc) is on the same side as atx. Btx is opposite.

Your motherboard is neither ATX nor BTX it is a customized HP format.
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05382582

It does look like possibly the mounting holes and the rear I/O space might be compatible.
Here is a link to various ATX specs:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX

You can measure the mounting hole spacing on your motherboard and compare them to the atx specs.
If three out of 4 match, you may be able to get it to work.

Considering that a motherboard for a i3-7100 can be bought for $60 or so, a new motherboard may well be a better option.

A tip...
Buy yourself a long magnetic tip #2 Philips head screwdriver.
It is invaluable for pc assembly and extracting motherboard mounting screws.

Reactions: exzou and boju