Help choose CPU Cooler for upward airflow

wgehring

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
I'm working on my first PC build and I would like your help choosing the best CPU cooler for me.

Mobo: MSI Z97 PC Mate LGA 1150
CPU: Intel Core i5-4460
Case: NZXT Phantom 240
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 2x4GB

I'm planning on putting both 120mm case fans in the front intake panel and installing one 140mm fan to exhaust hot air out the top case vent. I don't want to use the back vent due to where the case will be sitting. I would like to orient my CPU cooler so that it blows air upward to the top vent rather than to the back of the case like most setups seem to do.

My questions are:
Can you recommend a good, inexpensive cooler that can be oriented this way?
Is it going to be tricky to find one that clears the RAM?
Can any cooler made for this socket be mounted either horizontally or vertically?

I know that the stock cooler would be adequate if I don't OC, but I want to buy one anyway to reduce fan noise and further prolong the life of my CPU.

Thank you for your help!

blue_smoke

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013

I think that any modern heatsink will work

HOWEVER, I just ordered the Zalman CNPS5X for 23.64 free shipping on ebay brand new and you can mount that bracket in the way you want it. I hope this helps

Most stock heat sinks are designed to blow the relatively cool air within the case down over the CPU to cool the CPU. Aftermarket coolers like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and the Zalman that blue_smoke mentioned have vertical heat pipes and cooling fins and draw air over those fins and to the rear of the case, where the rear fan exhausts it (or it can be set up with the cool air being drawn into the case and over the fins.
I have Never seen one of these aftermarket coolers that can be aimed up towards the top as the cooling fins and heat pipes don't bend or pivot, and I would not advise flipping a stock cooler to blow upwards as it would not cool properly.
What makes sense to me, in your situation, would be an H55, H60, or if it would fit, an H80i or H100 series (200++mm radiator with two fans) closed loop cooler. Those I mentioned are from Corsair, but there are CLC's available from Antec, Kuhler, Cool Master, Zalman, NZXT, in other words you have a wide choice.

xStampede

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2013
Scynthe Katana 4 is around 20€, it blows air upwards and is kinda overkill your your CPU, you can just install this thing on and remove all your case fans expect the front one.
Scythe-Katana-4-CPU-Cooler-Stars-at-CeBIT-2012-2.jpg

+1^ Thanks. I forgot that the mounting brackets can often be mounted as shown, and completely missed that in the post from blue_smoke.

wgehring

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014

So the mounting brackets for any modern cooler can be mounted in whatever direction I choose? I didn't know if it was designed symmetrically or if the brackets had to go on a certain way.

I know that this would make the most sense as far as wiggle room in the case and overall cooling performance, but even the cheap ones are priced higher than I would like to go, especially since it isn't even strictly necessary for my non-OC'd CPU. Plus there's just something about water in a computer that makes me nervous, no matter how well sealed it is haha. I may still consider water coolers if air coolers are going to be too much of a hassle.

This is exactly how I would like to mount my cooler, thanks for the visual! That one looks mostly square, but I know that some CPU coolers have wide radiator fins. When mounted pointed up like this, is it likely that they might impede the RAM slots?

xStampede

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2013

You need to have low profile RAM's like this:
crucial_ballistix_tactical_8gb_ddr31333_cl7_kit.jpg