[SOLVED] Help choosing a better system between these

makilla

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
:??:
Hi, i need some advice on choosing the better between these two systems. Based in Canada so options are limited, but i was looking at :

Option 1: a no name gaming pc
APEX A-222 Gaming PC - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core 7nm- GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 16GB RAM - 480GB SSD WiFi Windows 10 Home Rev 2.0 https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=1446_1448&item_id=173460

Option 2: Dell G5

• 10th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-10400F processor(6-Core, 12M Cache, 2.9GHz to 4.3GHz)
  • Windows 10 Home 64bit English
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1660 SUPER™ 6GB GDDR6
  • 16GB, 1x16Gb, DDR4, 2666Mhz
  • 1TB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA HDD
https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/cty...rationid=dc2a29a6-bc60-48de-84c9-080677c63880

The two are similar in price and specs (which is my budget). Looking to see which one is better out of the box but also in terms of upgrading in the future.

If there is an even better option you know of available to Canadians id appreciate your opinion.

Thank you for your time and advice!

Solution
In this case.. I will recommend Dell G5.. because it is using Intel core i5 10400F.. and that will gonna serve you well in gaming.. and as well as in other tasks.. thought AMD Ryzen can run on better Clocks.. but Due to game optimization.. Intel wins this battle here...
And also intel one don't require much power either.. those CPUs are more stable..
That's not actually accurate. While Intel's higher-end 10-series CPUs were typically a little faster than AMD's 3000-series in games, when comparing these mid-range models the 3600 usually tends to be a little faster. This is in part due to Intel locking the 10400's clock rates lower than they do for their higher-end parts, so they lose their advantage there. And on mid-range...
In this case.. I will recommend Dell G5.. because it is using Intel core i5 10400F.. and that will gonna serve you well in gaming.. and as well as in other tasks.. thought AMD Ryzen can run on better Clocks.. but Due to game optimization.. Intel wins this battle here...
And also intel one don't require much power either.. those CPUs are more stable..

And Dell provides better support services.. so you will likely not face any issues related to technical support..

Reactions: makilla

makilla

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012

And Dell provides better support services.. so you will likely not face any issues related to technical support..
Thanks!

That's not actually accurate. While Intel's higher-end 10-series CPUs were typically a little faster than AMD's 3000-series in games, when comparing these mid-range models the 3600 usually tends to be a little faster. This is in part due to Intel locking the 10400's clock rates lower than they do for their higher-end parts, so they lose their advantage there. And on mid-range motherboards, they are also restricted to slower RAM speeds. That's not going to be helped by the single stick of RAM in that Dell system, which will hurt performance a little compared to running with two sticks installed, though that Apex system doesn't appear to describe their RAM configuration, so they could potentially be doing the same.

Even so, practically speaking, the 3600 will provide virtually identical gaming performance, and is typically shown to be a little faster in other applications. And the 3600 is actually a little more energy efficient due to being built on a more advanced process node, and both processors should run stable. Both are currently good CPUs that will provide similar performance, so any decision should come down to the rest of the system.

And looking at that, they both have a 1660 SUPER, so I would expect the gaming performance of both systems to be rather similar overall. The Dell lacks an SSD though, going with a hard drive instead, which isn't exactly ideal in 2020. The 1TB hard drive does offer more than double the storage of the 480GB SSD in the Apex system, but overall system responsiveness won't be as good with the OS installed on a traditional hard drive, and load times in games will typically be around half as fast.

It does looks like Dell lets you adjust some things with the configuration though. You can select "16GB, 2x8Gb, DDR4, 2666Mhz" to switch to two 8GB sticks of RAM without affecting the price. That can net you a little extra performance over the default configuration since it should allow them to run in dual-channel mode, so it might be worth doing that. The options for upgrading storage (or most other things) are not priced well though, so if you want a secondary SSD or hard drive, it would probably be better getting one from elsewhere and adding it to the system.

Solution
That's not actually accurate. While Intel's higher-end 10-series CPUs were typically a little faster than AMD's 3000-series in games, when comparing these mid-range models the 3600 usually tends to be a little faster. This is in part due to Intel locking the 10400's clock rates lower than they do for their higher-end parts, so they lose their advantage there. And on mid-range motherboards, they are also restricted to slower RAM speeds. That's not going to be helped by the single stick of RAM in that Dell system, which will hurt performance a little compared to running with two sticks installed, though that Apex system doesn't appear to describe their RAM configuration, so they could potentially be doing the same.

Even so, practically speaking, the 3600 will provide virtually identical gaming performance, and is typically shown to be a little faster in other applications. And the 3600 is actually a little more energy efficient due to being built on a more advanced process node, and both processors should run stable. Both are currently good CPUs that will provide similar performance, so any decision should come down to the rest of the system.

And looking at that, they both have a 1660 SUPER, so I would expect the gaming performance of both systems to be rather similar overall. The Dell lacks an SSD though, going with a hard drive instead, which isn't exactly ideal in 2020. The 1TB hard drive does offer more than double the storage of the 480GB SSD in the Apex system, but overall system responsiveness won't be as good with the OS installed on a traditional hard drive, and load times in games will typically be around half as fast.

It does looks like Dell lets you adjust some things with the configuration though. You can select "16GB, 2x8Gb, DDR4, 2666Mhz" to switch to two 8GB sticks of RAM without affecting the price. That can net you a little extra performance over the default configuration since it should allow them to run in dual-channel mode, so it might be worth doing that. The options for upgrading storage (or most other things) are not priced well though, so if you want a secondary SSD or hard drive, it would probably be better getting one from elsewhere and adding it to the system.
Bro the actual reason that why I said Intel one is better is its service, he is not building a custom pc. May be he is new. It is better to have good warrenty when someone don't have much knowledge to troubleshoot a pc issue.. performance is one thing.. support and service is other..
We all know that Ryzen is overclockable, that can easily beat i5 10400F due to its high clocks..
Ryzen performs better with faster RAM..

If he can build one, and can troubleshoot pc issue if any issue occurred.. then custom pc with Ryzen 5 3600 will be much Better...

Reactions: makilla