Question Help choosing between 2 cases ?

AleksiDj52

Honorable
Mar 4, 2017
Hello everyone, i am in the market in buying a new case for my computer since the case i have is like 13 years old lol and i've had 2 options so far and i don't know which one to choose so i came here to ask for a bit help.

The 2 options i have are the following

CoolerMaster CMP 520 ARGB (Don't get confused with the 520L variant)https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/cases/mid-tower/cmp-520/# and
Kolink OBSERVATORY HF GLASS ARGB
https://kolink.eu/Home/case-1/midi-tower-2/observatory-series/observatory-hf-glass.html

Personally i don't really care about having 6 preinstalled fans on the Kolink one lol as my PC ain't WOW nor gaming but i wanna get a good case that will last a while. All i want is a good airflow, good build quality and overall a good case. I don't mind losing a front USB because the Kolink has 2 USB 2.0 and 1 USB 3.0 but the CoolerMaster got 1 USB 2.0 and 1 USB 3.2

But yeah, what would you guys choose and why?

And please do not suggest any other cases than those, thank you!

I also got a Corsair CV650 PSU that has a height of 150mm and the CoolerMaster has a clearance of 160mm, is that fine? Kolink has 180mm

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
The Coolermaster case gets my vote. If you want to cook your hardware, then the Kolink case gets the vote. You might want to look at cases by Fractal...or perhaps pass on where you're located, what your budget is for your case and what you'd be stuffing said case purchase with(as in the specs to your build), so we can help narrow down one for you.

AleksiDj52

Honorable
Mar 4, 2017
The Coolermaster case gets my vote. If you want to cook your hardware, then the Kolink case gets the vote. You might want to look at cases by Fractal...or perhaps pass on where you're located, what your budget is for your case and what you'd be stuffing said case purchase with(as in the specs to your build), so we can help narrow down one for you.
Firstly, apologies i didn't mean to put this thread on gray color lol because i copy pasted what i said from another forum and straight up pasted it here without noticing that my whole thread was not very visible, thanks for fixing though!

Unfortunately where I'm located, there isn't any Fractal cases that fit my budget. I was looking for cases for around 60ish euros or MAX 70euros (Greece) and after like a 2-3 hours convo with my GF lol, we narrowed down on the Kolink and CoolerMaster i mentioned above.

My PC ain't nothing to blow your mind off. I could get a 20€ case and still be fine with the hardware i got but if you want my specs, here they are. I wanna futureproof as well as the current specs i have are quite old and i plan having my new case for around 10ish years. And no, I'm not building a new computer from scratch, i just wanna buy a new case and throw my old components in there as i said the new case is like 13 years old and it's high time on getting a new case for it.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2
CPU: i5-750 2.67GHz OC'ed to 3.8GHz
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC, not overclocked
RAM: 4+4GB Corsair 1333MHz (OC'ed to 1480MHz cuz of the CPU OC) and 2+2GB 1333MHz Corsair again total 4 sticks.
SSD: Samsung 860 Pro 500GB
HDD: WD Green 500GB

HDD: Seagate 1TB
PSU: Corsair CV650

Edit: If you can elaborate, why does CoolerMaster get your vote? What's better than Kolink?

The key issue I see with the second case is they put a huge piece of glass in front of the fans and expect it to suck all the air in from the 2 slots on the side. This along with the RGB fans in general just increase the price but do not improve the airflow.

Your current machine likely would not have any issues but the more modern cpu and gpu put out a lot of heat.

Reactions: beyondlogic

AleksiDj52

Honorable
Mar 4, 2017
The key issue I see with the second case is they put a huge piece of glass in front of the fans and expect it to suck all the air in from the 2 slots on the side. This along with the RGB fans in general just increase the price but do not improve the airflow.

Your current machine likely would not have any issues but the more modern cpu and gpu put out a lot of heat.
So you are suggesting to get the CoolerMaster one?

What about the PSU clearance i mentioned? Will there a bit a problem with it?

And as i said in my above reply, i want my case to be futureproof as well so i don't have to buy another case to fit my components

The case specs should tell you the maximum length of the power supply. I was mostly commenting on what type of thing you want to avoid. So many cases favor appearance over function.

When you are going very inexpensive cases it is hard to say. The case I like the best that will fit pretty much anything including huge 4090 cards and has good cooling is lian li 216. The one without the RGB is only about $100 but that is still above the price point you are looking at. It though is a good example of what you want in a case that you can still afford.

AleksiDj52

Honorable
Mar 4, 2017
The case specs should tell you the maximum length of the power supply. I was mostly commenting on what type of thing you want to avoid. So many cases favor appearance over function.

When you are going very inexpensive cases it is hard to say. The case I like the best that will fit pretty much anything including huge 4090 cards and has good cooling is lian li 216. The one without the RGB is only about $100 but that is still above the price point you are looking at. It though is a good example of what you want in a case that you can still afford.
I know the case specs tell me the maximum length of the power supply but maybe i thought that 10mm left would be an issue.

Not gonna lie i did see at the start of my search few days ago about the Lian Li 216 non RGB but it was way out of my budget unfortunately and so i left it behind.

I know you probably wouldn't buy any of those for your personal computer but if you had no other choice but those two only, which one would you go for?

Almost all power supplies have the same height and width so you would think every case would fit. I would check any reviews if the case does not have a standard mount for a power supply you will likely see comments.

The length can be a issue in some case but from the photos you can just remove the hard drive cage in that case and have the whole bottom for the power supply. Most times when it is a issue the cabling will not fit but the power supply itself is fine.

AleksiDj52

Honorable
Mar 4, 2017
Almost all power supplies have the same height and width so you would think every case would fit. I would check any reviews if the case does not have a standard mount for a power supply you will likely see comments.

The length can be a issue in some case but from the photos you can just remove the hard drive cage in that case and have the whole bottom for the power supply. Most times when it is a issue the cabling will not fit but the power supply itself is fine.
Alright i gotchu on whatever you said but what you would you personally choose from the two?

Alright i gotchu on whatever you said but what you would you personally choose from the two?
Cooler Master case is better. Better design, better air-flow.
For optimal air-flow config it requires additional 120mm fan in rear position.

You could potentially reuse this case for your next pc.
Even high power gaming pc would operate quite comfortably in it.

But your current pc specs are so low power, basically any case would be fine for it.
You probably don't even need a new pc case. Are you upgrading just for "RGB bling"?

Can you show a photo of your current system with side panel removed?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Last edited:

AleksiDj52

Honorable
Mar 4, 2017
Cooler Master case is better. Better design, better air-flow.
For optimal air-flow config it requires additional 120mm fan in rear position.

You could potentially reuse this case for your next pc.
Even high power gaming pc would operate quite comfortably in it.

But your current pc specs are so low power, basically any case would be fine for it.
You probably don't even need a new pc case. Are you upgrading just for "RGB bling"?

Can you show a photo of your system with side panel removed?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)
I got a 120mm fan in my current setup and it's on the rear side so i'll see where i'll throw that one if i can find the space for it, maybe at the top we'll see.

I know my PC ain't even sucking 350w lol but i wanted to futureproof as well for my next potential PC and that's why i didn't shell out for a case that's like 20 euros. I want a mediocre case that does the job

To be truthfully honest, i'm not going for an RGB case just because it's RGB and want some color but because i've never had an RGB computer in general, i wanted to get one and see how it is. Not only that, but i get 4 fans lol. It's not like i'll have them 24/7 because pretty sure i can just turn them off and turn them on whenever i feel like it. And of course the obvious reason i'm upgrading is because it's a 13 years old case

There ya go View: https://imgur.com/a/b2mti7i
. That's an old pic from June this year before getting the 3rd HDD. It's a mess but hey ho lol

AleksiDj52

Honorable
Mar 4, 2017
Your parts will fit.
Your parts are low power so there is no cooling issue.
Either will do the job.

Buy the case with the looks you love, it can be with you for a very long time.
I know they'll fit lol, i didn't say they won't and i wanted to buy a good ish case so i am futureproofed as well. If i wanted i could get a 20 euros case and be done with it but i ain't that guy.

I may go with the coolermaster though, seems to be the best one so far