[SOLVED] Help choosing budget speaker set

youssif9494

Reputable
Apr 13, 2019
Can someone recommend a good budget speakers for my PC?

i had These for 3 years now and wanted an upgrade, i wanted a "fancy 5.1" or something, i found the Logitech 5.1 Z607 (180W peak) mine is (18W peak) so i guess there would be more than a tremendous difference?

However, i found a lot of comments saying that Logitech is really bad and should definitely stay away from it if i want good audio quality, but i think these comments are bit similar to some comments here when people say "oh, the rx 580 is bad, it wont even get 144fps in any game in 4K, buy rtx 2080 MINIMUM if you want at least decent performance" that sorta comments? or are they really true and Logitech (in terms of audio equipment) are really bad?

My budget is around 70-80$ with little to no room for more.

Solution
Thank you for your detailed response.
My main use would be gaming and movies

"Do you even need 5.1 speakers?"
Not really, i've been using a cheap 2.1 for years now, I thought the Z607 5.1 would be a decent " noticeable " upgrade from my cheap 18W speakers

However, the main reason i am still hesitant on buying it, is that its way too expensive ( in my country / currency ) and may not output a decent noticeable upgrade from my 2.1? and that the money would be better going towards a GPU upgrade for example...

If you don't care about 5.1 sound then a good 2.1 or 2.0 set is just fine. Yes it will be a noticeable upgrade but it's up to you if you want to spend the money there or on something else. You may be better off on a set...
What you will like in speakers and what others like is not the same as picking a video card. One is personal preference the other is hard benchmark numbers.

Logitech speakers are not bad, but depends on what you like and your budget there are 30 different speaker setups you can pick that are all "good" that you may like better or worse. Do you even need 5.1 speakers? Going to be able to set them up around your desk properly? Is your audio output capable or running 5.1 output to those speakers? Are you looking for clear clean sound like for stringed instruments and classical music? Just a bunch of thumping for rap? Games? Do you want huge bass which means large speakers or a sub or just a clean simple setup that sounds good? There is no single answer.

Brands like Edifier are known for powered speakers, some very artsy like these https://www.edifier.com/int/en/speakers/e235-luna-e-2.1-bluetooth-wireless-subwoofer

Or for a home living room looking kit https://www.edifier.com/int/en/speakers/s350db

Simple $100 set https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R1280T-Powered-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B016P9HJIA <-- got these for my mother and she likes them, although she has them setup in a really bad way too far apart and at different levels LOL

Micca, Swan and Fluance have nice bookshelf speakers with good audio reproduction quality https://www.amazon.com/Fluance-Book...nics&sprefix=micca+pow,electronics,144&sr=1-9 <-- I like these.

Last edited:

youssif9494

Reputable
Apr 13, 2019
What you will like in speakers and what others like is not the same as picking a video card. One is personal preference the other is hard benchmark numbers.

Logitech speakers are not bad, but depends on what you like and your budget there are 30 different speaker setups you can pick that are all "good" that you may like better or worse. Do you even need 5.1 speakers? Going to be able to set them up around your desk properly? Is your audio output capable or running 5.1 output to those speakers? Are you looking for clear clean sound like for stringed instruments and classical music? Just a bunch of thumping for rap? Games? Do you want huge bass which means large speakers or a sub or just a clean simple setup that sounds good? There is no single answer.

Not really, i've been using a cheap 2.1 for years now, I thought the Z607 5.1 would be a decent " noticeable " upgrade from my cheap 18W speakers

However, the main reason i am still hesitant on buying it, is that its way too expensive ( in my country / currency ) and may not output a decent noticeable upgrade from my 2.1? and that the money would be better going towards a GPU upgrade for example...

If you don't care about 5.1 sound then a good 2.1 or 2.0 set is just fine. Yes it will be a noticeable upgrade but it's up to you if you want to spend the money there or on something else. You may be better off on a set of headphones, dollar for dollar headphones are better buy for audio. You can get a very good set of headphones under $100, it is a lot harder to do so in speakers, and they also will give greater detail than cheaper speakers. For my setups I go with mid range CPU and GPU, and then spend some money on nice keyboards, mice, sound and monitors. Those are the things you actually touch and use, as long as the system speed is where you want it to be, money spent on good peripherals is never really wasted. My main computer has a $300 set of speakers I bought over 20 years ago that I still use and am happy with. That's like $15 a year to enjoy something.

Solution