Help: Computer died not will not turn on.

labanged

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014
This Christmas i built a computer for myself and it was working fine all the way up until a couple weeks ago when it wouldn't turn on. Then after a little bit and turning the power supply off and on again it started working perfectly again. Then just today it turned off by itself and now will not turn on. When hitting the power button the fans start to rev for a split second then turn off. The LED's do the same they turn on for a split second then die. Here are my specs.

4x2 kingston hyperX ram
AMD FX-6300 black edition
Gigabyte r9 270x
Gigabyte AM3+ AMD 970 GA-970A-DS3P
EVGA 600B 80PLUS Bronze
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB
I dont know if it could be a bad connection somewhere or if my psu is going bad. Could my motherboard have shorted somehow?

Solution
There is a great sticky on PCs with boot problems. Read it. Look for breadboarding. Look for "remove all parts until you have only MB, PSU and CPU, then see if it posts", etc. But I would not try to debug now, the error is too intermittent.

Intermittent electronics errors are pretty common and they often get worse with time. Just about any part in your PC could be at fault. For example, bad memory, bad MB, bad power supply, bad electronics on hard drive or CDROM, bad cables, short between MB and case, bad video card, etc. So the trick is to debug systematically and not just buy new parts hoping the find the right one.

If it was me I'd ignore the problem until it got frequent enough that debugging can work. With a very...

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator

Why you should not buy an EVGA 430 / 500 / 500B / 600B PSU
http://www.overclock.net/t/1500086/why-you-should-not-buy-an-evga-430-500-500b-600b-psu

There is a great sticky on PCs with boot problems. Read it. Look for breadboarding. Look for "remove all parts until you have only MB, PSU and CPU, then see if it posts", etc. But I would not try to debug now, the error is too intermittent.

Intermittent electronics errors are pretty common and they often get worse with time. Just about any part in your PC could be at fault. For example, bad memory, bad MB, bad power supply, bad electronics on hard drive or CDROM, bad cables, short between MB and case, bad video card, etc. So the trick is to debug systematically and not just buy new parts hoping the find the right one.

If it was me I'd ignore the problem until it got frequent enough that debugging can work. With a very infrequent error it's hard to tell if the part is good, or if it is just currently working. Once you get a hard fail debugging is easier.

update: I overlapped with your last post. Maybe it's close enough to a hard fail to debug now. P.s. There is firmware that always runs when the PC is plugged in. It does things like monitoring the power on button. (The power button does not really control power, it just signals the firmware to do something). To reset this firmware unplug the PC and let it sit a few mins to drain the caps, then plug it in again.

Solution

labanged

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014
Well i took out the power supply and connected an older one to the motherboard and cpu to see if it turned on and it didn't so the PSU is fine and working correctly now my guess would be the motherboard had gone bad since my cpu seems to be fine. and ram almost never goes bad.

Suggest you do not just randomly replace parts, especially things like MBs. Instead follow the procedures in the sticky. However its your money and your PC and you could be right.

re: "and ram almost never goes bad." and that why no one writes memory test programs. grin. CPUs almost never fail unless they are murdered with OCs. RAM fails, as do disk and .... And ram is so easy to test, just pull it out and see if the MB beeps "no memory".