Question Help - Computer only boots to UEFI Bios

noahtonn06

Reputable
May 29, 2020
Last night I made the unfortunate mistake of doing a forced shutdown while in my computer's bios to turn it off. Now I can only boot to the bios.

Here are the specs:
ASRock B650E Riptide Mobo
Ryzen 7 7700x
Nvidia 3080
2x16 DDR5 @ 6000mhz
Corsair RM750 Power supply

When booting, initially the DRAM and CPU indicators light, then the boot and CPU indicators flash, and the VGA light goes on for about a second before the boot indicator also comes on. So at the beginning, it's the DRAM and CPU; at the end, it's the VGA and Boot lights.

I have no idea what I need to do to get back to Windows. Most guides appear to assume its a problem with Windows, which I assume is not the case given that the problem originated from shutting down improperly from the Bios.

Thank you for your help!

noahtonn06

Reputable
May 29, 2020
Symptoms show that your OS drive is either toast, or you have issues with boot manager.

Does your OS drive show up in BIOS?
What is the boot order in BIOS?
Yes, that's it. It says no boot device detected. I have a hard drive, 2.5 SSD, and an M.2; none of which show up. I assume a fresh install of windows is the solution? Or do I need all new drives?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I have a hard drive, 2.5 SSD, and an M.2; none of which show up.

If one drive wouldn't show up, i'd suspect drive failure. But if all drives won't show up, this points towards MoBo failure.

2.5" SSDs are SATA drives and your MoBo has 4 SATA ports. Unplug all SATA drives and try with one drive, one-by-one, all SATA ports on your MoBo, by confirming from BIOS if the drive shows up or not.
If the drive won't show up, regardless which SATA port you're using, i'd replace the MoBo.

Also, MoBo replacement = clean Win install.

noahtonn06

Reputable
May 29, 2020
It looks like I was looking in the wrong place before, I found the other two drives.

I tried wiping my SSD with diskpart and reinstalling Windows and it doesn't show up as a bootable drive. After entering the install window again, the partitions appear to be correctly created, despite the inability to boot. The same thing happens with my HDD, even after disabling secure and fast boot.

noahtonn06

Reputable
May 29, 2020
Update: Was able to boot to drives using CSM, but now booting to any drive with Windows shows a black screen.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I tried wiping my SSD with diskpart and reinstalling Windows and it doesn't show up as a bootable drive. After entering the install window again, the partitions appear to be correctly created, despite the inability to boot. The same thing happens with my HDD, even after disabling secure and fast boot.

Proper way of installing Win is:
* remove all other drives from PC, except OS drive
* disable CSM (you don't need it, it's to do with Legacy boot, while your hardware supports UEFI off the bat)
* format the single drive and make a clean Win install on it, in GPT (avoid MBR)

If you have more than 1 drive hooked to PC when installing Win, Win may put the boot manager on 2nd drive, complicating things considerably.