Question Help connecting the front panel pins of a Corsair 4000D Airflow?

shawnlau

Prominent
Feb 23, 2021
I just finished a build with a Corsair 4000D Airflow case ( MSI Z490-a pro mother board). The manual for the case shows seven wires coming out of the front panel. USB 3.0, USB 3.1C, HD Audio, Power Switch, Reset Switch, Power(+,-) and HDD(+,-). There aren't seven wires coming out of the front panel, there are six. USB 3.0, USB 3.1C, HD Audio, and labeled leads Power Switch, Reset Switch, and HDD(+,-). The HDD(+,-) lead is tabled wrong. When its hooked up to the HDD pins on the mother board, the power switch shows hard drive activity and stays off with no activity. When the wire labeled HDD(+,-) is hooked up to the Power(+,-) pins, it shows when the power is on and blinks when the computer is asleep. Obviously its just labeled wrong. But what do I do for an HDD light? The only two options left are the PowerSw wire or the ResetSw wire. I'm a little concerned about moving those onto the HDD(+,-) pins because they are supposed to be quick jumpers, not always on or working. Any help would be appreciated. I can live without an HHD light, but for $100 and only one USB 3.0 port on the front panel, I want that HDD light :)

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
The power and reset switches are switches, the LED's are LED's.

You can swap the switches around and they will work, you can swap the LED's around and they will work, but you cannot swap switches and LED's around.

I have a couple of systems where I have no reset wired up at all, and use the reset switch as my power button so that it doesn't accidentally get turned on or off.

Reactions: shawnlau

shawnlau

Prominent
Feb 23, 2021
The power and reset switches are switches, the LED's are LED's.

You can swap the switches around and they will work, you can swap the LED's around and they will work, but you cannot swap switches and LED's around.

I have a couple of systems where I have no reset wired up at all, and use the reset switch as my power button so that it doesn't accidentally get turned on or off.
I've been informed the Corsair 4000D airflow doesn't come with an HDD lead , only a power lead. The manual is wrong and my lead is mislabeled, I'm told. I just can't figure out what that red light with the circular arrow over it is for or which wire ever lights it up. Because it never lights up. There are no reset switches on modern machines. Whats it for? My guess was it was HDD light. The manual doesn't say. You see many reset lights on modern machines? I know both the reset switch and power switch are jumpers. One of the fist NewEgg videos I watched on building ( by this Tom?) a system showed how to jump them with a screw driver. Thats why I didn't want to even test hooking them to the HDD pins.

Last edited:

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
I've been informed the Corsair 4000D airflow doesn't come with an HDD lead , only a power lead. The manual is wrong and my lead is mislabeled, I'm told. I just can't figure out what that red light with the circular arrow over it is for or which wire ever lights it up. Because it never lights up. There are no reset switches on modern machines. Whats it for? My guess was it was HDD light. The manual doesn't say. You see many reset lights on modern machines?
There is no such thing as a reset LED.

The Power LED also acts as a "sleep" LED and generally does a slow blink as you have already seen.

I think I am misunderstanding your question.

shawnlau

Prominent
Feb 23, 2021
There is no such thing as a reset LED.

The Power LED also acts as a "sleep" LED and generally does a slow blink as you have already seen.

I think I am misunderstanding your question.
Well leads are technically polarized, but I was using the term as wires and labeled polarity is specific as (+,-). PowerSw and ResetSW are wires that are not technically leads as the polarity doesn't matter. My mistake.

shawnlau

Prominent
Feb 23, 2021
This is really griping me as I am being stonewalled on the Corsair forum. This is the Corsair case I have, bought from BestBuy in good faith. The manual shows seven pairs of WIRES coming from the front panel. One pair goes to USB 3.0, one pair goes USB 3.1c, one pair goes to HD Audio, one pair goes to Power SW, one pair goes to Reset SW, one pair to goes to Power(+,- ) and one goes to HDD ( +,-) Those are the SEVEN wires the Corsair 4000D Airflow manual shows. https://www.corsair.com/corsairmedia/sys_master/productcontent/WW_4000D_4000D_Airflow_QSG_WEB_AA.pdf

But there are only SIX pairs of wires coming from the front panel. There is no pair of wires labeled Power (+,-). There is a pair of wires labeled HDD(+,-), but it labeled WRONG. When hooked to the HDD pins on the motherboard, the Powers light flickers during HDD activity - not an HDD light. With no HDD atctivity, the power light stay out and doesn't show when the computer is asleep. When the the pair of wires labeled HDD(+,-) are connected to the power (+,-) pins on the motherboard, the power light stays on and blinks when the computer is in sleep state. The HDD pair of wires is labeled WRONG. It is a Power (+,-) pair. They go to the Power switch LED.

So being mostly stonewalled on the Corsair forum, I was told that none of the Corsair series 4000 or 5000 cases have HDD indicators. Well that's very awkward for the Corsair 4000D airflow manual and the labeling on the wires , but mistakes happen? But now I can't figure out what pair of wires goes to the light to the right of the headphone jack on the Corsair 4000D airflow? What is that light's purpose? What makes it come on? I can get no answers on the Corsair forum. Anyone here have experience with the Corsair 4000D airflow ? Can you please tell me what the wires coming out of the case go to and and what makes that light to the right of the headphone jack , light up or do something other than take up space? https://i.pcmag.com/imagery/reviews/035Mkky9AI8PRp6UH2RFgoj-4..1606315820.jpg

rosteven

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2015
This is really griping me as I am being stonewalled on the Corsair forum. This is the Corsair case I have, bought from BestBuy in good faith. The manual shows seven pairs of WIRES coming from the front panel. One pair goes to USB 3.0, one pair goes USB 3.1c, one pair goes to HD Audio, one pair goes to Power SW, one pair goes to Reset SW, one pair to goes to Power(+,- ) and one goes to HDD ( +,-) Those are the SEVEN wires the Corsair 4000D Airflow manual shows. https://www.corsair.com/corsairmedia/sys_master/productcontent/WW_4000D_4000D_Airflow_QSG_WEB_AA.pdf

But there are only SIX pairs of wires coming from the front panel. There is no pair of wires labeled Power (+,-). There is a pair of wires labeled HDD(+,-), but it labeled WRONG. When hooked to the HDD pins on the motherboard, the Powers light flickers during HDD activity - not an HDD light. With no HDD atctivity, the power light stay out and doesn't show when the computer is asleep. When the the pair of wires labeled HDD(+,-) are connected to the power (+,-) pins on the motherboard, the power light stays on and blinks when the computer is in sleep state. The HDD pair of wires is labeled WRONG. It is a Power (+,-) pair. They go to the Power switch LED.

So being mostly stonewalled on the Corsair forum, I was told that none of the Corsair series 4000 or 5000 cases have HDD indicators. Well that's very awkward for the Corsair 4000D airflow manual and the labeling on the wires , but mistakes happen? But now I can't figure out what pair of wires goes to the light to the right of the headphone jack on the Corsair 4000D airflow? What is that light's purpose? What makes it come on? I can get no answers on the Corsair forum. Anyone here have experience with the Corsair 4000D airflow ? Can you please tell me what the wires coming out of the case go to and and what makes that light to the right of the headphone jack , light up or do something other than take up space? https://i.pcmag.com/imagery/reviews/035Mkky9AI8PRp6UH2RFgoj-4..1606315820.jpg
You may already figured this out by now, but the button/switch to the right of the headphone jack is the Reset switch - it is not a light at all.

shawnlau

Prominent
Feb 23, 2021
You may already figured this out by now, but the button/switch to the right of the headphone jack is the Reset switch - it is not a light at all.
Yes, I think someone on the Corsair board told me back in about March :) I still wonder if a reset switch is a bit of a waste. I've never used it but maybe different OS's need it? Thanks for the response!