[SOLVED] Help converting 8 track to digital.

I have been tasked to convert an 8 track to digital. This is a recording of my grandfather and a band he was in, so it is not copyrighted or anything.
The 8 track is dated 1981 and the player is a Sears model dated 1982.

The player has L+R RCA jacks at the rear and a 1/4in headphone jack at the front. Am using a dual RCA to stereo 3.5mm converter. The RCA end is plugged into the rear of the player but the 3.5mm jack is plugged into the rear of my PC. I am recording to Audacity with highest possible sample quality.

I am having a few issues.

1) When playing radio or 8 track, the player is mostly outputting on the left channel on both the RCA jacks and the 1/4inch jack. If i wiggle the volume knob it will sometimes output a little on the right channel, but also static when turning. I guess the pot needs cleaned.

2) The radio plays clear enough and records fine, however the 8 track records to my PC with an odd buzzing noise. This noise cannot be heard when outputing to speakers and not being recorded. I also plugged in some 1/4in realistic headphones to the front of the player and the 8 track did not buzz.

3) I do not have much experience with 8 track players and If i set it to track one it just plays that track over and over again, whereas my dad says it is supposed to switch tracks automatically when one is over. Is it supposed to switch tracks? If so, why isn't it?

8 track
https://drive.google.com/open?id=12YepQ8s1l_UFeMXE3bZeWXM28QnY9S06
Radio
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IFQG5bzPGBhbvOc4V7dhVefUJ2NVKx9u

These are just a few second .wav clips.

Big issue is that this player hold sentimental value to my mom, and I do not trust myself to open it up, even to do something as simple as clean a pot, due to the risk of breaking it.

What do you think i can do to solve these issues?

Solution
Go to a pawnshop, and obtain a new(er) 8 track player.
That one has issues.

Yes, they do auto switch from track to track. Or supposed to, anyway.
CLUNKclunk.

USAFRet

Titan
Why do you think it buzzes when being recorded but not otherwise?
Because it is 40 years old, and hasn't been powered up in 30.
Dried caps, dusty connections, other corrosion....could be a lot of things.

When you obtain another player, see if you can also obtain a few tapes. Test the player functionality with those, instead of the one and only copy of granddads band.