Question HELP! CPU fan failure Error Message! Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8600

Apr 17, 2022
Hallo everyone @TomsHardWare.com !

I bought used Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8600^^) the highest performance CPU chip for Motherboard Foxconn G33M02 !!

!!! HELP !!! When I boot computer error message ' CPU fan failure! ' !!! The CPU fan turns on then turns off and stays off ! Also , 1 of 3 PC case exhaust fans also stays off ! Did I receive defective CPU chip ? I tried BIOS setting but no find option CPU fan .

Then replaced return to original CPU E2180 chip and PC working normally !!

Could problem be as said 'check that you have BIOS Version 1.0.16 installed,' vs. factory BIOS Version 1.0.15 ?? Can you provide detailed instructions how to update newer BIOS and trustworthy website where to download ?? I am novice and do not like software .

Here is details of my old-old PC specs=

I have an old-old PC DELL Vostro 200
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2180 @2.00GHz
Motherboard is Foxconn G33M02
BIOS 1.0.15
Windows 7 Professional 32-Bit
4.00 GB RAM
40.0 GB Free Space HDD
Graphics Card MSI NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 2GB DDR3
400w PSU

PLEASE PLEASE HELPA ME=(((

EigeSan

Last edited by a moderator:

Ralston18

Titan
Could be that the CPU (used) is indeed defective.

However, I am compelled to ask about that 400 watt PSU. Make, model, age, condition (original, new, refurbished, used)?

The PSU may simply not be up to the demands of the replacement Intel Core Duo CPU.

Will the computer boot into safe mode when Intel CPU is installed?

Apr 17, 2022
Hallo @Ralston18 !

Thank you for reply message^^) & try to helpa me ! The PowerSupplyUnit I bought brand new EVGA 400w I do not know model # ?

The Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8600 does boot into MS-DOS message ' CPU fan failure! ' and ' Press F1 to continue ' and after boots into Windows 7 with CPU fan remaining off ! Very concerned PC may break overheating .

I originally found this thread mentioned my 'Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8600 ... The largest processors are supported, by the Foxconn G33M02 motherboard: ... check that you have BIOS Version 1.0.16 installed,'

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/pc-upgrade.3541214/#post-21390163

I do not know how to update BIOS for old-old Motherboard Foxconn G33M02 the manual says nothing ??

Ralston18

Titan
This GPU?

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GT-710-2GD3-LP/dp/B01DOFD0G8

Recommended PSU is 300 watts. However with the other system components etc., 400 watts may not be enough.,

You posted that the EVGA PSU is brand new - recently or when computer was first purchased? What is its rating: Bronze, Silver, Gold, etc....?

Before attempting a BIOS update refer to the motherboard's User Guide/Manual to double check all connections, cards, RAM, and jumpers for two things:

1) that they are correctly connected and/or

2) that they are fully seated

Be sure to power down and unplug before opening the case.

Apr 17, 2022
Hallo again @Ralston18 ^^) !

Yes this is my GPU MSI GeForce GT 710 2GB .

I bought this PSU brand new last year (2021) EVGA 400 N1 400W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified #100-N1-0400-L1

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Warranty-Power-Supply-100-N1-0400-L1/dp/B00LV8TZAG/ref=sr_1_3?th=1

Yes power down unplug and open case checked all connections card , RAM etc . all correct including CPU fan 4-pin connection to Motherboard .

When return to original CPU E2180 chip PC working normally !! After install highest performance CPU Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8600 chip and boot computer error message ' CPU fan failure! ' =( . Tested this several times .

I did read user manual Motherboard Foxconn G33M02 and says nothing about BIOS update=( .

https://www.motherboardusermanuals....b1260e4b9cbb53a4ed&manual=297373&type=product

Again much appreciate you helpa me !!

Ralston18

Titan
My thought is that that 400W PSU is not able to keep up with total system power demands when the E8600 chip is installed.

Even though both CPU's are listed at 65 watts there is likely enough of a difference with respect to peak demands that the PSU can keep up with the E2180 but not the E8600.

Remember that PSUs provide three different voltages ( 3, 5, and 12) to various system components. A problem with any given voltage is going to cause problems.

Is it at all possible that you can borrow another known working PSU with a higher wattage and rating?

Just to test with?

As for the fans not working do remember to check all of the connections.

When I boot computer error message ' CPU fan failure! ' !!! The CPU fan turns on then turns off and stays off ! Also , 1 of 3 PC case exhaust fans also stays off ! Did I receive defective CPU chip ?
If cpu fan is not working, then it's a problem with cpu fan (not the cpu itself).

Replace cpu fan.

This is your motherboard. Correct?

s-l1600.jpg

Apr 17, 2022
If cpu fan is not working, then it's a problem with cpu fan (not the cpu itself).

Replace cpu fan.

This is your motherboard. Correct?

s-l1600.jpg

Hallo @SkyNetRising ^^) !

Thank you for message ! Yes that is my Motherboard mATX Foxconn G33M02 .

No the problem is not CPU fan . Yes I also bought replace this CPU fan brand new last year (2021) ARCTIC PWM 4-pin SILENT LOVE IT !

When replace return to original factory CPU E2180 chip the CPU fan working beautifully I as I type this !!
Problem occurs when install Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8600 chip = MS-DOS error message ' CPU fan failure! ' CPU fan turns on then turns off and stays off !!! Have tested this several times ...

( I research it is the highest performance CPU chip and should be compatible with Motherboard Foxconn G33M02=( )

The Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8600 chip indirectly or directly causes ' CPU fan failure! ' .

Thoughts maybe update BIOS Version 1.0.16 vs. factory BIOS Version 1.0.15 ?? But I am novice do not like software do not know how=( .

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/pc-upgrade.3541214/#post-21390163

No the problem is not CPU fan . Yes I also bought replace this CPU fan brand new last year (2021) ARCTIC PWM 4-pin SILENT LOVE IT !
On proprietary motherboards like used in DELL prebuilt PCs, fan cables on connector may be wired differently.
You have non-original (standard) fan on cpu cooler. That may not work on DELL motherboard.

Can you show photo of fan connectors from old and new fans?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

I'd suspect tach and pwm cables to be switched in places in the connector.

Apr 17, 2022
My thought is that that 400W PSU is not able to keep up with total system power demands when the E8600 chip is installed.

Even though both CPU's are listed at 65 watts there is likely enough of a difference with respect to peak demands that the PSU can keep up with the E2180 but not the E8600.

Remember that PSUs provide three different voltages ( 3, 5, and 12) to various system components. A problem with any given voltage is going to cause problems.

Is it at all possible that you can borrow another known working PSU with a higher wattage and rating?

Just to test with?

As for the fans not working do remember to check all of the connections.
Hallo again @Ralston18 !

Thank you I tried your suggestion sadly did not work=( . I installed brand new EVGA 850W! PowerSupplyUnit works perfect with old CPU chip^^) (& surprise a bit faster performance!) .

BUT AGAIN when I change to highest performance CPU chip Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8600 same exact error message
' CPU fan failure! ' !!!

Deduct it may be 'check that you have BIOS Version 1.0.16 installed,' vs. factory BIOS Version 1.0.15 ?? Said in other forum thread ... This I do not know how to do ...

Blessings !