Question HELP! Dealing with Usable Installed RAM Issue

Jan 5, 2020
I show 8 GB installed but only 3.98 GB usable. Running G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) on a ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS Micro ATX AMD Motherboard. It is an old box, no upgrades since original build in 2014, and maybe time for an upgrade but I'd like to fix this issue before upgrading if I can get some more life out of it. MOBO RAM compatibility: It uses the DDR3 memory type, with maximum speeds of up to 1866 MHz, and 2 DDR3 slots allowing for a maximum total of 16 GB RAM. Also running
AMD FX-8120 3.1GHz Eight-Core Desktop Processor and a EVGA SSC GeForce GTX 650 Ti Video Card. OS is on a 120 GB Samsung Evo SSD. OS is Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

Other things I checked: virtual memory is set to auto manage paging file size for all drives and msconfig shows max memory as unchecked. I also tried looking in BIOS to see if I OC'ed anything and maybe MHZ was out of range and I don't have anything OC'ed anymore. Both RAM slots function. Tested by removing one stick reboot and vice versa. Also tried both sticks and PC boots on each independently. However with both sticks in I get 8 GB installed and 3.98 GB usable. HELP!

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020
test with each stick on each slot?
Well dunno why this worked... lol feeling embarrassed but relieved.

Stick A worked fine in both slots 1 and 2. Stick B worked fine in slots 1 & 2.

When I went to install both sticks their respective slot positions had been switched and once booted I am showing 8 GB RAM. It is recognizing both!

I guess they just needed to be reseated and they hadn't been since I last moved which I am imaging my box must have bounced around some in the back of my car. I dunno lol. Thank you though rgd1101!

TRENDING THREADS