Question Help deciding on Core Ultra vs 13th gen Core i series, and Windows laptop model ?

Mar 26, 2024
Hello,
first time poster, long time reader.

TLDR: Need some expertise/advice on a laptop model as well as the Intel core ultra vs just getting a core i7/i9 H

Use cases: productivity (ms office, SaaS/web, some light python/pytorch/keras coding); occasional use of kali linux, cybersecurity-focused VMs (multiple VMs is my main reason for getting 64gb); watching movies and youtube for enjoyment; generative AI/LLMs; *no gaming whatsoever*

Laptop confusion:
My favorite option, the 2023 Dell XPS 15", only has the 13th gen core i7 or i9 i9-13900H as an option. I've heard the i9 gets hot and was hoping for the core ultra for better thermals and the AI future proofing since I work in AI (though I still am not sure i really "need" the core ultra for simple prompt engineering and light coding from time to time).

Original plan was to get the new Dell XPS 14" or 16" with a core ultra 9 or core ultra 7, but the lack of function keys and no physical escape key has become a hard dealbreaker for me.

I then looked at the HP Spectre x360 because the keyboard feels amazing but 1) it only goes up to 32GB ram and 2) have heard there are hinge issues (?). Have never owned an HP.

Chip confusion:
I'm currently at a loss on whether the core ultra would really be future proofing me for the use cases I have.
Guess it comes down to: say I got the XPS 15 with i9-13900H, would that be good for some years to come and do you know how hot it gets vs i7?

thanks for your time

Are you looking for a gaming laptop or a workhorse type.
How highly do you value easy portability?
If you can, go to a shop and test out the candidates.
You might find that you like some displays or keyboards better than others. Failing that, go to some laptop review sites like notebookcheck.
For example here is a review of a Lenovo thinkpad P16 G2:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenov...5-Hz-screen-Nvidia-RTX-2000-Ada.787612.0.html

artk2219

Distinguished
Hello,
first time poster, long time reader.

TLDR: Need some expertise/advice on a laptop model as well as the Intel core ultra vs just getting a core i7/i9 H

Use cases: productivity (ms office, SaaS/web, some light python/pytorch/keras coding); occasional use of kali linux, cybersecurity-focused VMs (multiple VMs is my main reason for getting 64gb); watching movies and youtube for enjoyment; generative AI/LLMs; *no gaming whatsoever*

Laptop confusion:
My favorite option, the 2023 Dell XPS 15", only has the 13th gen core i7 or i9 i9-13900H as an option. I've heard the i9 gets hot and was hoping for the core ultra for better thermals and the AI future proofing since I work in AI (though I still am not sure i really "need" the core ultra for simple prompt engineering and light coding from time to time).

Original plan was to get the new Dell XPS 14" or 16" with a core ultra 9 or core ultra 7, but the lack of function keys and no physical escape key has become a hard dealbreaker for me.

I then looked at the HP Spectre x360 because the keyboard feels amazing but 1) it only goes up to 32GB ram and 2) have heard there are hinge issues (?). Have never owned an HP.

Chip confusion:
I'm currently at a loss on whether the core ultra would really be future proofing me for the use cases I have.
Guess it comes down to: say I got the XPS 15 with i9-13900H, would that be good for some years to come and do you know how hot it gets vs i7?

thanks for your time
What is your current budget and where are you located? Do you plan on travelling with your laptop often?