Question Help Deciphering SpeedFan Temperatures

Jun 11, 2019
Hi

I have had issues with numerous Blue Screen Of Death when I run video transcoding on a Dell Vostro 200 Core 2 Duo PC operating on Windows Vista SP 2.

I am guessing the computer overheats and shuts off when video transcoding is done.

I installed SpeedFan and am confused about the temperatures

I have attached an image of the screen capture of the Speed Fan GUI interface

What is the Temp 1 reading of 86 C. It hardly goes below this.

I have opened the chassis, cleaned the dust out and applied thermal paste on the processor surface.

I have booted into the Dell BIOS and it doesn't really give me much information about the default temperatures or a safe range.

I have adjusted the fan speeds in "Configure" and when I select Automatic Fan Speed checked, I can hear the fans spin up but it doesn't do anything to the temperature.

Please advise.

photo host

Thanks and regards

"What is the Temp 1 reading of 86 C. It hardly goes below this. "

Many times...programs like these will report what I'd call an "open sensor input" for lack of better terms. Basically there is no sensor there so it just reports nonsense.

I would download and run Afterburner. I think this will be much clearer to you regarding the temps.

There are two main temps I would care about. The GPU and CPU temps (you can also look at individual core temps).

You want your CPU to be below 70C ideally....and GPU to be below 80C.

Jun 11, 2019
Use HWMonitor instead. It's much easier to use and understand than archaic SpeedFan.

If your PC is crashing, it's probably RAM, not temps. But temps are easier to check, so you're right to start with that.

C2Duo transcoding video on Windows Vista.....? Ooph

Hi

It's not as bad as it sounds - it used to transcode fine until a Roku update.

I installed HW Monitor.

The same thing - an unexplained 87 C reading. Any idea what it is?

Check northbridge and southbridge on motherboard with your finger (2 aluminium blocks onboard).
Those might need change of thermal paste too.

pr24289_1-23772_0rk936_20140808103930_5_grande.jpg

Jun 11, 2019
Check northbridge and southbridge on motherboard with your finger (2 aluminium blocks onboard).
Those might need change of thermal paste too.

pr24289_1-23772_0rk936_20140808103930_5_grande.jpg
I can see one you may be referring to - ie. the solid heatsink like block to the left of the processor in your picture.

Is that correct? I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove it to apply the thermal paste.

Which is the other one?

What component does the 86 C temperature refer to?