HELP! Dell Inspiron 5458 Laptop USB Ports DIED!

xjjeepman

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Hello All- I have a Dell Inspiron 5458 Laptop that is less than 2 years old and a week or 2 ago ALL of the USB ports stopped working. I noticed a popup saying something about insufficient power to them and then the next this I know they all died. I tried reinstalling the chipset drivers to no avail and the device manager shows no issues with the USB root drive etc. I went as far as buying another motherboard on eBay (as I thought this maybe a hardware failure) and this has not worked either! Can anyone shed any light on this??? The laptop works great other than this but I really need the USB ports or the laptop is basically worthless to me. TIA!

xjjeepman

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014

Ok I just tried a 2nd Motherboard and still no dice! How do I go about this Linux Live disk boot?

xjjeepman

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014

Ok I tried using this method ran it off the cd and still no USB ports. I'm at a loss here. I find it hard to believe that 3 of the Mobo's would be bad..

If even the Linux disk did not work, USB ports are bad. Happens. Not sure why a replacement board did not work either but if you go a used motherboard off ebay, it could have had the same issue as yours.

xjjeepman

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Solution