[SOLVED] Help! Desperate for help on how to run and conceal security camera cable in siding

dovedescent7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
I dont know where else to go- tried posting @ forums for security cams with no answers!

I recently installed security cameras around my house and i have no clue what to do with the cables that are dangling down from the cameras. As you can see from my photos below(in the links below), the ethernet cable, which also powers the cameras, is just left out in the open because the method i used to conceal them didnt work.

-Has anyone had experience with how to tuck cables under thin siding like i need to do here?
-What do i use to keep the cables behind the siding?
-Is there a way to tuck the cable in their, maybe a method cable installers use?

Please, any help would be a huge relief!!

Not sure why this place doesnt let you upload photos!

https://ibb.co/P6PGztt

https://ibb.co/P4DYjYR

and another

https://ibb.co/ZXWmdhW

Solution
Vinyl siding is easy to remove. Use round top "T" series staples to attach your wires behind the vinyl, then replace the siding. There is a tool called a siding hook (we used to call it a "zipper tool") that makes it WAY easier to remove and put back. The bottom of each piece is a hook that fastens to the piece below it.
Be aware that old and cold siding gets brittle and breaks easily. Wait till the warm part of the day to start working with it. Easiest to remove a piece from a seam to get started. I do not recommend removing the bottom piece unless you have to. There will be a trim bit fastened to the wall that the bottom bit snaps to. The next piece up is generally easier and once you have one bit removed it makes sense very quickly...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Vinyl siding is easy to remove. Use round top "T" series staples to attach your wires behind the vinyl, then replace the siding. There is a tool called a siding hook (we used to call it a "zipper tool") that makes it WAY easier to remove and put back. The bottom of each piece is a hook that fastens to the piece below it.
Be aware that old and cold siding gets brittle and breaks easily. Wait till the warm part of the day to start working with it. Easiest to remove a piece from a seam to get started. I do not recommend removing the bottom piece unless you have to. There will be a trim bit fastened to the wall that the bottom bit snaps to. The next piece up is generally easier and once you have one bit removed it makes sense very quickly.

There is a channel up the side (behind that gutter drain) that you should be able to tuck wires to the top. When you get there you (might) be able to drill a hole out of the top channel and into your soffits. Drill a small hole and use a wire plug to conceal what you can. There will generally always be a small loop showing unless the wires come in by way of it's mount. If that's the case use a 3/4" hole under the mount to run the wires. I typically will caulk that hole just to help keep bees and bugs out.

Edit- keep in mind that you will not actually be removing each strip of vinyl from the house, just "unzipping" it from the piece below. The top of the pieces of vinyl have a nail/staple track that attaches the top to the house.

Solution