Help! - DMI pool data?

G

I've been trying to upgrade with a PCChips integrated motherboard using a 4.3 gig HD, AMD K-6 II 500 mghz processor, 64 meg PC 100 ram. The jumpers are all set properly (only jumper seems to the "clear cmoss" jumper).

The computer boots up just fine and goes through the bios searches for drives, etc. Then, just at the point where it would normally look for a boot record from the floppy start-up disk, the computer says, "verifying DMI pool data....." and then freezes up so that nothing else can be done. I can't get past this point in order to format the hard drive and install Windows 98 SE.

The strange thing is that I've gotten to this point gradually. I was able to fdisk the hard drive. But, now I can't to anything.

squib28

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Did you update the bios at any stage? It sounds as though you may have a faulty board/bios if it's hanging at that point....

uncoando

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You may have to run the DMI utility: it's looking to verify a system that's not extant.
What modifications did you make? Get into the BIOS and amend the system settings there...

G

I have experienced the same issue with a PCChips MB.
I ended up returning it a local shop that was kind enough to re4fund my money.
One thing that does cause DMI data pool issues is IRQ conflicts.
If the MB bios is updated to support this HDD and the auto detect in the CMOS setup correctly identifies the drive and saves it then you might pull all the cards out of the machine and see if it will load windows. Then add them back in one at a time and see if one of them is causing the problem. Good luck.

Regards,
Chas