HELP ! Dont know if I can OC or not!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 23, 2018
Hi guys
I bought a used Nvidia Gtx 560 ti and Im not sure if I should OC it. I had a Radeon 6770 OCed before that and it worked fine. Im afraid my PSU will blow..

My specs are:
AMD Athlon X3 450 3.2Ghz OCed to 3.6Ghz.
Asrock 970 Extreme4
450W PSU 80+ gold
GTX 560 Ti
2 Cooling fans
2 500GB 2.5" HDD
Wireless card
8GB corsair RAM.

According to PC part picker my rig takes up 414W. My CPU is OCed already to it must be near 430W. Can i OC my GPU too? or should I return my CPU to stock speeds and undervolt it.
Also, I tried unlocking the 4th core but it seems that my x3 dosent have one... strange.

Solution

Actually, I recommend getting a proper fan for your case. But if you must use the fan from the Dell case (and it has a compatible connector and wired the same), use it as a rear fan. Hot air rises and will be pulled out near the upper reaches of the case. Besides, using as a side fan means you have to remember it is there everytime you remove the side panel or you'll snap the wires.

The PWR header is fine to use. It just has no...
Apr 23, 2018
HDDs dont have anything on it.Its unallocated and uninitialized. Gives an i/o error when i try allocate it. Both of pcs are on UEFI. Tried legacy too dosent work... Im a bit worried because people were complaining that the fx 8350 was so power hungry that it overheated the VRMs (4+1 power phrase). I cant fit a Fx-9590 because the power requirement is double of what my motherboard supports.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

The FX-8350 is fine on your board. I've had several FX-8350 builds (don't ask) on all sorts of motherboards. Never had the least problem; even OC'ing. And your board has heat sinks on the VRMs, so they are fine. And if you never OC, it won't even matter.

Btw, how could you try legacy? You'd have to re-install the OS.

Apr 23, 2018

Theres a heatsink on my VRMs? As far as I know, its covering the CPU only..

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

If this is your board, yes. Right there between the chokes and the caps. (above the CPU socket in the pic)

Apr 23, 2018
Yep, I see the heatsink, i thought it didnt because I have a 970 pro3 sitting here and it dosent have any heatsink on it. I will buy the Evo 212 cooler +Fx-8350 for €60, Thanks.
Now i have to figure out these damn HDDs. Everything I try tell me they are good condition HDDs but wont partition or initialize for some reason on any PC......

Apr 23, 2018
One more thing, I got a 970 pro3 mobo at a bargain. I was thinking if i build another pc from there, should I take out the athlon x3 450 from my extreme4 and place it in my pro3? Since it dosent stress the VRMs there which dont have a heatsink. Then i would buy a Fx-8350 for my extreme4 and it would be able to OC because the VRMs are given better cooling. Am i right?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Yes, that would be the logical way to use those CPUs/boards.

As to the 140W socket, I have never seen an AM3+ board yet with a socket rating greater than 140W. Yet all of us that have OC'ed the FX-8350 over the years have had no problem in that regard. Even the mighty ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX was only a 140W board.
I doubt you'll even get to a 140W OC on that 970 board anyway. The FX-8350 will probably throttle before that.