HELP! Download speed on desktop extremely slow, but WiFi is not affected

May 9, 2018
As the title says, I have a wired connection to my desktop. But the download speed is terribly slow, yet the upload speed is unaffected. I tried changing the LAN cables already but it didn't work. My motherboard is MSI H97 PC Mate if required :) Please help if anyone know what is going wrong with my download speeds.

By the way I'm using a TP-Link "300Mbps AV500 Wi-Fi Powerline Extender" in my room since the modem is too far away. So my WiFi comes from this powerline adapter, and my desktop is connected via LAN cable to this adapter too.

This first screenshot is the speedtest I've done on my desktop.
dlfaUXA.png

This next screenshot is the speedtest on my phone, connected via WiFi.
97l7rlz.png

Thanks!

Solution
Does the following link provide the User Guide for your router?

https://www.cleancss.com/user-manuals/PGR/2W5012NV/2

You will need to refer to the User Guide to check for any configuration settings within the router that affect LAN port performance.

That said ,I would not expect a problem with a LAN port per se. (However, cannot rule out that possibility out at this time.)

Seems that the 2WIRE router is very configurable and there simply may be some mistake or mismatch in the configuration settings. Double check any materials that your ISP provided to ensure that the router is correctly configured.

Another possible problem is the physical connection(s) to the router.

Do any other network computers or connected devices...

Ralston18

Titan
Does the following link match your powerline adapters:

https://www.tp-link.com/ph/products/details/cat-5034_TL-WPA4220KIT.html

Are the power line adapters plugged directly in the wall outlets? I.e., no power strips, extension cords, plug adapters UPS's?

Have you tried reconfiguring the powerline adapters per the installation instructions?

Any known power problems in your residence, recent power outages, lightning strikes, electrical work, etc.?

Understand that you tried other Ethernet cables. Do be sure that those cables are known to work elsewhere. And try swapping the cables on both adapters if you did not do so.

Windows 10? Run the built in troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Try reinstalling the drivers for your desktop's network adapter.

What make and model "modem" are you connecting to? More likely should be a modem/router or a router. Would not expect a direct connection to a modem per se. Especially with multiple devices.

Who has the administrative rights to the modem/router or router? You may need assistance with the configuration settings for your desktop's network adapter card.

May 9, 2018

Hey thanks for the reply!

Yes that's the right powerline adapter. And i went to check, you were right my so my powerline adapter is connected to a router provided by my ISP. The router model is 2WIRE 5012NV.

So clarify, the WiFi speed i showed in my original post was connected to the powerline adapter's WiFi so that's why i was curious why there's such a difference.

Anyway, i went to router itself and connected multiple ethernet cables to my laptop (btw the picture shown in the original post was a test ran on my desktop) to test them out. All of the download speeds were identical around 0.17Mbps as shown in my post. Is it possible that the problem lies in my router's LAN ports instead?

Ralston18

Titan
Does the following link provide the User Guide for your router?

https://www.cleancss.com/user-manuals/PGR/2W5012NV/2

You will need to refer to the User Guide to check for any configuration settings within the router that affect LAN port performance.

That said ,I would not expect a problem with a LAN port per se. (However, cannot rule out that possibility out at this time.)

Seems that the 2WIRE router is very configurable and there simply may be some mistake or mismatch in the configuration settings. Double check any materials that your ISP provided to ensure that the router is correctly configured.

Another possible problem is the physical connection(s) to the router.

Do any other network computers or connected devices experience slow download speeds?

What type of connection is coming into the router: Coax, Ethernet, Telephone (ADSL)? I think you may have ADSL which would mean a telephone line.

If so, the next thing to look for is what is known as a splitter or filter. On the incoming line from your ISP there should be a small box that splits the telephone line into two. One wire goes to your telephone system. The other wire goes to the router.

For example:

http://wiringdiagramcircuit.co/simple/50-67554

Those splitters/filters can and do go bad. Replacing the splitter may help - especially if all network devices are experiencing slow download speeds. And the telephone cables being used for connections to and from the splitter are also suspect. Look to see if you have a splitter somewhere.

Solution