Question Help! eyestrain between IPS and VA

scyleri

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014
I've been using the Philips 24M1N3200VA for 2 months or so with no eyestrain issues whatsoever (even before i got the dvi cable to use it at 165hz) however a few weeks ago i got the LG 29wp60g ultrawide and im noticing immediate eyestrain from the first second i start looking at it, i tried to adjust every single setting possible and while the image looks great the eyestrain persists especially it comes to non gaming activities. I do have astigmatism but i never experienced any eyestrain on the VA Philips monitor however the IPS LG one is really noticeable which is a shame because i love the ultrawide, is there anything i can do besides looking for a ultrawide VA monitor? From what i understand VA is supposed to be the cheaper alternative to IPS which is true for regular 16:9 but for ultrawide the cheapest VA is twice as expensive as the IPS alternative.

My guess the issue isn't the difference between VA & IPS but the different refresh rates those monitors have. The Philips has a 165Hz refresh rate which is beyond what the human eye can perceive. However, the LG only has a 75Hz refresh rate which is at the edge of perception for some people. This is similar to how CFLs flicker at 60Hz which can cause headaches for some people. I would say get an ultrawide with a higher refresh rate.

scyleri

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014
My guess the issue isn't the difference between VA & IPS but the different refresh rates those monitors have. The Philips has a 165Hz refresh rate which is beyond what the human eye can perceive. However, the LG only has a 75Hz refresh rate which is at the edge of perception for some people. This is similar to how CFLs flicker at 60Hz which can cause headaches for some people. I would say get an ultrawide with a higher refresh rate.
As i said i used the Philips with 60hz until i got a DP cable for about a month with no difference in eyestrain, it only appeared when i switched, it feels more like my right eye is being forced to focus on a different point than real life or the VA monitor.

I wouldn't write off an entire display technology due to a single monitor. Maybe try another IPS monitor and see if its the same. VA is also not what you want for gaming because it tends to smear when you get to higher refresh rates and look bad.

Ive never come across eyestrain from IPS or any panel type, but everyones eyes are different so its hard to say.