Question Help finding 4G unlocked flip phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Fratach

Commendable
Feb 15, 2020
Hello,

I bought and activated a SIM card from Speed Talk, it uses the T-mobile network.
Are there any 4G flip phones that are unlocked? I had to return aa AT&T phone on Amazon because it wouldn't accept the SIM.

Reactions: softwarereview

Chris Fratach

Commendable
Feb 15, 2020
New Motorola Razr? ;)
Looking for under $100...

You might struggle, why do you want a flip can I ask?
I want something cheap, I don't want to worry about the screen, I want something small, and I never had a smartphone and don't want to learn how it works... flips are simple.

Think the best I know that’s 4G is the 8810 by Nokia
That's a start, but I'd rather have a clamshell than a Star Trek communicator... lol

Unless there's different versions, this site says it won't work with 4G...
https://www.grooves-inc.com/nokia-n...W-G0XZohRNX7QpeAI6YyN9SXD8kzQ8Q4aAm1dEALw_wcB

Last edited:
Looking for under $100...

I want something cheap, I don't want to worry about the screen, I want something small, and I never had a smartphone and don't want to learn how it works... flips are simple.

That's a start, but I'd rather have a clamshell than a Star Trek communicator... lol

Unless there's different versions, this site says it won't work with 4G...
https://www.grooves-inc.com/nokia-n...W-G0XZohRNX7QpeAI6YyN9SXD8kzQ8Q4aAm1dEALw_wcB
That site does say it works with 4G, says LTE/4G YES.

Your issue will be the industry moved away from flips some time ago and you’ll only get phones that are cheap and don’t have stuff like 4G or retro throwbacks like the 3310 and 8810. Would say you should try a smartphone. You can use it the same as a flip if you just want it for text, phone and internet and if you’re worried about a screen you can slap a case on for a tenner. The only flips I can find are 3G and they cost the same as second hand older flagships like the S5.

Would say the iPhone SE would be a good starting point if you’re not wanting to learn anything but I don’t know if it’s getting iOS 14. Though if you’re not getting any apps that wouldn’t really be an issue because the phone part of the phone would work fine still.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris Fratach

Chris Fratach

Commendable
Feb 15, 2020
That site does say it works with 4G, says LTE/4G YES.
It says "This appliance does not support LTE (4G) frequencies in North America."...

Your issue will be the industry moved away from flips some time ago and you’ll only get phones that are cheap and don’t have stuff like 4G or retro throwbacks like the 3310 and 8810.
I know phones like the Alcatel Go Flip 3 and Kazuna eTalk, but I can't find them unlocked, only from providers with 6 month commitments, I already have a plan with Speed Talk for $60/yr. I don't want to buy a phone and then pay $30/mn for 6 months.

Would say the iPhone SE would be a good starting point if you’re not wanting to learn anything but I don’t know if it’s getting iOS 14. Though if you’re not getting any apps that wouldn’t really be an issue because the phone part of the phone would work fine still.
I did consider the SE even though it still has all that OS stuff to deal with, I'm not used to worrying about software on my phone. I just make calls, occasionally a text, use the calendar, calculator, and alarm clock. I've used a LG Revere 3 for over five years...

The other problem with the SE, was not only did I have difficulty finding the color I like, and a matching case, and deciding which screen protector was good, but every time I compared prices of SE, the info would always be different, different storage space, different operating systems, etc. I couldn't make a value judgement because nothing was apples to apples.

It says "This appliance does not support LTE (4G) frequencies in North America."...

I know phones like the Alcatel Go Flip 3 and Kazuna eTalk, but I can't find them unlocked, only from providers with 6 month commitments, I already have a plan with Speed Talk for $60/yr. I don't want to buy a phone and then pay $30/mn for 6 months.

I did consider the SE even though it still has all that OS stuff to deal with, I'm not used to worrying about software on my phone. I just make calls, occasionally a text, use the calendar, calculator, and alarm clock. I've used a LG Revere 3 for over five years...

The other problem with the SE, was not only did I have difficulty finding the color I like, and a matching case, and deciding which screen protector was good, but every time I compared prices of SE, the info would always be different, different storage space, different operating systems, etc. I couldn't make a value judgement because nothing was apples to apples.
Might be an issue as I’m in the UK so the signal would be different.

iOS is generally straight forward, connect it to WiFi to set up and then you can just ignore it, it’ll prompt you when to update the OS. You can delete pretty much everything after from phone, messages, camera, photos, settings, clock and calendar I think? They only do 4 colours, black, silver

The operating system is always the same for the SE it supports iOS and you update it. The storage space does change but if you’re not downloading loads of apps and taking loads of photos the bottom 16GB would be more than enough. I haven’t deleted my messages since I got my SE at launch and even with ported everything across to my new phone last year I only have 5GB of messages in nearly 5 years. Maybe someone from closer by will come in an help is an issue with me not knowing any shops there or even what brands are available

Reactions: Chris Fratach

Chris Fratach

Commendable
Feb 15, 2020
They only do 4 colours, black, silver
I saw gold and rose gold too, if I did get it I'd want a decent (but not more expensive than the phone) case that matches and can fit a scree protector.

The operating system is always the same for the SE it supports iOS and you update it.
Yes, iOS... but they all said different things, like nicknames or something, and I couldn't tell which were newer or better.

The storage space does change but if you’re not downloading loads of apps and taking loads of photos the bottom 16GB would be more than enough.
True, but it was still making me unsure which SE to buy when I would see one with 32GB be cheaper but also have different OS information.

Do iPhones need basic apps like alarm clock, calendar, calculator, stopwatch, etc. downloaded or do they come pre-installed?

I saw gold and rose gold too, if I did get it I'd want a decent (but not more expensive than the phone) case that matches and can fit a scree protector.

Yes, iOS... but they all said different things, like nicknames or something, and I couldn't tell which were newer or better.

True, but it was still making me unsure which SE to buy when I would see one with 32GB be cheaper but also have different OS information.

Do iPhones need basic apps like alarm clock, calendar, calculator, stopwatch, etc. downloaded or do they come pre-installed?
It cut gold and pink off I did type them dunno what happened.

The os will have a number from 10-13 to show the Os version at the start then a bunch after to show the patches to it. No matter what OS you get on it you can update it to the latest OS until Apple stop supporting that phone. If you can send links I’d be happy to look at them. Just as an example my OS is: 13.3.1

All of those apps are preinstalled and you can’t delete them, stopwatch and clock are the same one.

Status
Not open for further replies.