Help fixing hard-wire of 5050 LED light strip to new power supply. Old power supply fried.

Dezyhe

Prominent
Apr 9, 2017
My computer no longer starts after attempting to hardwire around 1M of 5050 LED Light Strip to the power supply. I assume I have fried the power supply and hopefully not the motherboard as well.

If this is correct, I would like to know what I did wrong and how to fix my setup for when I get a new power supply. I want to power the LED strip with the power supply and not through an adaptor out the back of the computer connected to the wall.

Setup:
I used a 6-Pin Male to Molex Male which I cut the Molex end off and connected both Yellows (+12V) and both Blacks (Ground) to a DC Plug. This cable connected the LED Strip Controller to the Power Supply to power the LED Strip. Three ~30cm segments of LED strip were connected to the controller and were connected together using LED Strip to Strip Connectors. (Links are to identical products but not always where I bought them from.)

What happened when trying to start the computer:
I pressed the PC's power button for the first time, the LED strip flashed really quickly but none of the PC status lights (power and harddrive) turned on. I tried pressing the power button again, around 2 seconds later, but nothing happened at all. After another 2 seconds I tried pressing the power button and the LED strip flashed again but no PC status lights. In further attempts the PC's status lights nor the LED strip turned on. After disconnecting the LED strips from the power supply, the PC still won't turn on. I'm assuming that I've fried the power supply and potentially the motherboard but hopefully not. I tested the LED strip using a wall socket and the supplied power adaptor and only the 1st of the 3 segments turned on.

Computer Specs:

• PSU: CX500M (500Watts)
    Motherboard: B85-G43 Gaming
    CPU: Intel i5-4460
    GPU: GTX960
    HHD: 1TB Segate Barricuda (7200RPM)
    SSD: 256GB 850EVO
    RAM: 2x 8GB HyperX Fury (DDR4)
    Estimated Load Wattage: 322W (from CoolerMasters website)
Thanks for any help.

Solution
Sounds like you're shorting your power supply lines. Don't do that.

You may have triggered a circuit breaker in the power supply, which would prevent it from starting again until reset.

If the power supply has a toggle switch on it, turn it to off. Then, unplug the power supply from the wall and leave it unplugged for 1+ minutes. This should allow the circuit breaker to reset.

Don't assume anything with a modular or semi-modular power supply. While they should follow color coding standards, nothing beats a volt meter to ensure what you are attempting to do is in fact correct. With a multi-meter, you can easily see if your mickey-moused wiring job is shorting out somewhere.

Dezyhe

Prominent
Apr 9, 2017
I assumed that the 'PCIE' and 'Peripherals and SATA' ports on the power supply were the same and plugged the 6-pin cable to the LED strip into the 'Peripherals and SATA' port as my graphics card was already in the 'PCIE' port. Are they in fact the same or is this what caused my power supply to fry?

Dezyhe

Prominent
Apr 9, 2017
I unplugged my 6-Pin Male to DC Male cable from the power supply and got the computer to turn on again (around 10 seconds after removing). To confirm it was the cable that was causing the issue, I plugged the 6-Pin end into the other Peripheral and SATA port of the power supply while the 12V DC end wasn't plugged into anything and while the computer was still on and the computer instantly turned off. I now can't get the computer to start even while the 6-Pin to DC cable is not connected to the power supply. I guess that means that the power supply wasn't fried but I have no idea if that means it's fried now. Any help at least getting the computer running would be great. Thanks.

Sounds like you're shorting your power supply lines. Don't do that.

You may have triggered a circuit breaker in the power supply, which would prevent it from starting again until reset.

If the power supply has a toggle switch on it, turn it to off. Then, unplug the power supply from the wall and leave it unplugged for 1+ minutes. This should allow the circuit breaker to reset.

Don't assume anything with a modular or semi-modular power supply. While they should follow color coding standards, nothing beats a volt meter to ensure what you are attempting to do is in fact correct. With a multi-meter, you can easily see if your mickey-moused wiring job is shorting out somewhere.

Solution