Help! Frequent and inconsistent BSODs on new Ryzen 2600 build

Jan 2, 2019
Hi All,

I've been building PCs on and off for about 20 years and I just built out a replacement for my main home machine that was 9 years old. The new build is a Ryzen 2600, B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, Radeon RX570, 16 GB RAM (T-Force Vulcan), 650W EVGA PSU, Crucial MX500 M2 500GB operating system SDD, Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB seconday SSD.

I'm encountering an issue that I am running out of ideas for, so I'm turning to the community for help.

Basically, from day one of booting the new build up, I'm getting seemingly random, but multiple times a day, BSODs. All of the BSODs seem to have solutions that recommend:

• A) updating drivers (done, trying both most recent from the web and the default from the CDs included with the MOBO/GPU)
    B) scanning or repairing Windows registry (done, no errors found)
    C) scanning or repairing hard disk (done, no errors found)
    D) faulty memory (memcheck done with no errors, pulled one of the two sticks, still had issues)

In addition to those steps, I have the BIOS running the latest version, and overclocking (or not) the memory or CPU has made no difference in stability.

What really shocked me was, after all my disk, registry, driver and memcheck work, I decided to just wipe and reinstall fresh and still got a crash within 30 seconds of booting up.

Here's a rough list of the errors so far:

• UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
    PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA
    IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL
    SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION win32kbase.sys
    Others referencing files like: atikmdag.sys, tcpip,sys, classpnp.sys
    I also had the "Audio Service Not Started" issue, and using the Services menu to restart it did not work.

Despite all of the above the system runs stable enough at times to let me play my racing sim for 45 minutes+, it will run overnight without crashing (as far as I can tell), etc... The failures seem random to me but most often seem to coincide with shortly after booting up or logging in.

At this point the only forum post I've read that seems to have had a similar issue ultimately found their CPU was faulty. Does that sound like a possibility? If so, I'll inspect it tonight (was going to install a better cooler anyway) to ensure it doesn't have any bent pins or anything else obvious. I just don't want to RMA it if it isn't the issue.

If not the CPU, any other ideas?

Jan 2, 2019
Thanks Ralston. Last night I checked all connections and found all to be solid. I pulled both memory sticks and re-inserted them to ensure they were in fully. I also swapped the cooler on the CPU, which interestingly enough the CPU pulled out with the stock cooler even though it should have still been locked in. I checked all the pins and any other sign of damage to the CPU but found none, so re-installed (ensuring it was definitely seated correctly) and installed the new cooler.

I then booted up, and, based on another forum post where a user described similar issues, upped my DRAM voltage to 1.35 per the rated spec of the memory, and reactivated X-AMP so it would again run at its rated 3000mhz.

It booted fine and ran without any crashes last night, even OC'd to 3.8Ghz, so fingers crossed it was either the DRAM voltage (which would explain all the memory related bsods) or less likely, some sort of barely out of place CPU connection. I'll post again if the issue reoccurs. Still running the old drivers straight from the box, won't mess with those until I know the system is stable.

BreakfastTea

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2015
Hi there,

I recently built a pc with very similar specs to yours and with a ryzen 2600. I am getting very similar bsods and issues to yours and was wondering what exactly you did to fix it (and if indeed it is still working fine?). I saw you said you upped the dRAM but I don't really know what that means/how I go about doing it?

Thanks in advance and I hope your PC is still going strong!