Help. Got a new router, only one computer showing limited access on wifi.

ElderJohn

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
So I've been troubleshooting for two days now and have run out of ideas. A few days ago I bought a new router, the TP Link wdr3600. All my other devices connected to it perfectly, but one of my laptops, running Windows 8.1, establishes a connection to the router, but then shows Limited Access, and labels my wifi as 'unidentified' and 'public'. This laptop worked fine with the old router a few days prior.
The strange part is that the laptop connects perfect through ethernet, but when I connect with wifi it grabs a valid ipv4 address, default gateway, subnet mask, and dns server, but cannot access any websites. When I ping my router (192.168.0.1), it varies with "request timed out" and "Reply from... Destination host unreachable." I've also tried pinging google's dns (8.8.8.8)
So I've done a lot of troubleshooting to try narrow this down. When I booted this laptop with a live Ubuntu cd, I was able to connect it to the wifi and it worked perfectly. I've tried using a static ip. I've also messed around with the router's security settings and other settings to see if it would fix it. As for as network driver's go, this laptop's official wifi driver doesn't work with windows 8, so it is using the default Broadcom network driver.
I would greatly appreciate any insight on this problem, :)

Solution
Check around on forums for your laptop having the issue. I'm sure others have installed Windows 8 and had similar issues.

If not, contact the laptop manufacturer and ask them which driver to use.

Are you using Windows 8, or 8.1? There is a difference. You can install Windows 8.1 from the Windows App Store.
In summary, you are not using the correct driver, and subsequently having issues. A new router precipitated the issue.

You will need to have a real Windows 8 driver. If you can't find it for the Broadcom, than get a current USB WiFi adapter that can support Win 8.

g90814

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
Check around on forums for your laptop having the issue. I'm sure others have installed Windows 8 and had similar issues.

If not, contact the laptop manufacturer and ask them which driver to use.

Are you using Windows 8, or 8.1? There is a difference. You can install Windows 8.1 from the Windows App Store.

Solution

ElderJohn

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013

Fixed it! I found this website: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/network-internet-wireless/f/3324/t/19482345 and downloaded the dell 1501 wifi driver for windows 8. This downgraded my broadcom driver and now wifi is running perfectly! Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS