*HELP* Hiren boot cd cannot boot mini xp

Daniel Delli

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014
My laptop recently went dead. I force shut down, and bam, bootmgr is missing, after a few failed restore attempts, some stupid moves on my part made it worse. Basically, i have a corrupt laptop with an interrupted windows 7 install. upon trying to boot, i am greeted with a black screen after the dell start up.

I'm not worried about fixing the computer, (i have a repair disc), i'm only worried about losing the files i had on the computer.

I recently came across Hiren Boot cd, which seemed perfect to my situation. I burned a disc, popped it in, and booted from it and just like that, i booted the mini xp feature and it worked great. i was able to use mini xp to browse my hard drive, and to my relief, all my pictures were still intact on the hard drive. I turned off the laptop, and was content knowing i had my solution.

However thats how my new problem started.

Now, when i try to boot mini xp, after a brief bios screen, the screen goes black. There is no "windows is loading files" progress bar, followed by the windows xp startup. Its now a reacurring issue whenever i try to boot mini xp.
The black screen displayed this: http://prntscr.com/502ozg

Please help, i am willing to explain my issue further if it is necessary.

See if you can load the PartedMagic Linux environment; if so, then get an external drive, and save the files that are important to you, just in case your internal drive is headed south....

Not really sure how it could not successfully load the Mini-XP environment but only once....

Daniel Delli

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014

I'm going to attempt using parted magic. It looks a lot more confusing than mini xp, however its all i can do at this point from a DIY standpoint. I'm going to do some research on using this before i do anything drastic. I'll provide an update

Daniel Delli

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014

Would it be to much to ask for a brief explanation on how to transfer everything on the hard drive to an external drive? :??:

I think there is a relatively easy to use Backup utility within the Linux OS environment, I will double check on my laptop later....

(Can't recall if Clonezilla was included, as I've played with way too many antivirus/recovery/rescue CDs the last several months)