HELP I can't get my PC to leave standby mode.

LordByron

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
Ok, I was shutting down my computer in windows xp, and accidently clicked "standby".

My computer automatically shut down fast. I thought ok, I'm done.

Later I come back, turn on my comp and the screen is all blank, and I don't see the BIOS start ups and windows isn't loading I unplugged the pc and it is still doing the same thing. I also pressed the power button.

My monitor is also unresponsive and seems to be in standby mode as well.

How do I get out of standby mode which I presumed makes my monitor in standby mode and turns off my hard disk?

My motherboard is a p5gdc-v deluxe.

Thanks in advanced.

sluzbenik

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
I have seen laptops do that, which is usually remedied by pulling the battery.

But if you've cut the power totally that's weird. Have you tried resetting the CMOS?

More likely is that something is wrong with your power supply...I don't think it is still in standby mode if you've powered off completely. You can't get it to post. To check that find the power connector on the mobo that connects to your front on/off button (check the manual) and short it using a pen. Stick the tip between the connectors. That is what the on-button does - a drop in voltage tells the motherboard to power up. [/list]

And you might not just be giving it enough time...Standby mode on my computer actually takes almost 20 secs for it to wake completely, but if you don't hear at least one drive powering back up instantly, you have a real problem.