Help! I need a good "keyfinder" for elderly parents with NO Smartphone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
I've been searching all morning (as well as watching YouTube reviews) for a good "keyfinder" device for my elderly parents, but everything I find seems to have an issue with it. The biggest issue is that neither of them own a Smartphone, so they can't use a device that requires one.

Here is the situation: My step-mother has memory issues. My father has hearing issues (particularly high-pitched beeps), and nether of them has a Smartphone (though I do.) So while GPS/Bluetooth support would be a nice feature (as last resort if I must run over to help), it can't be the ONLY means of finding your lost item.

One highly rated keyfinder is two fobs that uses sound to set the other off. Push the button on one and it emits a piercing beep that its companion hears and responds in kind. Not exactly a desirable means of finding your keys... running around the house playing a loud beep listening for another beep. But it's simple and customers say it works. I'm sure they'd much rather have something that doesn't make such a racket (and don't forget Dad's hearing.)

Some have awful battery life. Many don't have replaceable batteries at all. That killed off about a dozen options. The battery needs to last about a year and be replaceable (or rechargeable.)

My step-mother is frequently misplacing things. Her purse, her keys, etc. They have a reasonably large home, so a range of about 100+ feet is required.

What I'm looking for? Press a button on a remote and the fob beeps. Loud enough to hear if you're outside and it's locked in a car, or GPS support in case I need to find it for them (preferably from home.) Easily replaceable battery with long life.

Is there anything out there meeting that criteria with good reviews? (I'd rather not spend over $100, but will if the device is good enough.) TIA.

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

Thanks for the reply.

After much research, I ended up going with a unit with the best balance of battery life, volume, and range (based on Amazon reviews) that doesn't need to be "re-paired" every time you change the batteries. :/

I know they'll forget to check the batteries, and if they have to "pair" each fob after the batteries die (like one highly rated unit), they'll simply stop using the unit and go back to calling me. :sarcastic:

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

I felt that might be regarded as spamming... a plug for some commercial product.

But since you've asked, here is the item I ended up going with:

Esky Wireless RF Item Locator.

It looks ridiculous, but looks to be the best all-around unit (I haven't yet tried it. It's a gift for someone else.)

We have no issues with links that are not meant as ads. If we see 10 posts from you with the same link, well then there may be a ban coming hehe.

Half the forum questions are for "best so and so thing", most of those are answered with a link to a product, usually on Amazon or Newegg.

Status
Not open for further replies.