My specs:

GPU: MSI RTX 4080
CPU: i7 13700k
Motherboard: Asus Z790-P Prime
Storage: 2TB Crucial M.2, 500GB SATA SSD, 2TB SATA HDD
Memory: G Skill 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i
PSU: MSI 850W Gold

Long story short: Built a new PC about a week ago, and it worked great. Yesterday I was having noise issues with my AIO, so I took my panels off and slightly repositioned my radiator. I also unplugged a few things to do some cable management. I plugged everything back in, and it booted right up with no AIO noise. But when I launched Starfield, it looked awful. I am getting like 80 FPS and it is very choppy. I was getting about 160 FPS before, and it looked fantastic. My CPU and GPU temps are perfect (60-70 for CPU under load, and 45-55 for GPU under load.) I did notice that when Starfield is running, I am only seeing 1%-10% CPU usage when my GPU is running 90%-100%, according to iCUE. Does that mean my CPU is not having to work very hard to keep up with what my GPU is currently doing? Task manager shows my memory running at 6000mhz, but iCUE only shows 3000mhz. Not sure if that's normal. I don't know what I should do. Did I kill my new graphics card somehow? Any help is very appreciated. I am no expert.

Things I've tried:
-Unplugging and checking the connectors I had unplugged
-Unseating and reseating the RAM sticks
-Unseating and reseating the GPU
-Unplugging and checking the power connector for the GPU
-I rolled back to the previous version of Nvidia driver using DDU

My specs:

GPU: MSI RTX 4080
CPU: i7 13700k
Motherboard: Asus Z790-P Prime
Storage: 2TB Crucial M.2, 500GB SATA SSD, 2TB SATA HDD
Memory: G Skill 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i
PSU: MSI 850W Gold

Long story short: Built a new PC about a week ago, and it worked great. Yesterday I was having noise issues with my AIO, so I took my panels off and slightly repositioned my radiator. I also unplugged a few things to do some cable management. I plugged everything back in, and it booted right up with no AIO noise. But when I launched Starfield, it looked awful. I am getting like 80 FPS and it is very choppy. I was getting about 160 FPS before, and it looked fantastic. My CPU and GPU temps are perfect (60-70 for CPU under load, and 45-55 for GPU under load.) I did notice that when Starfield is running, I am only seeing 1%-10% CPU usage when my GPU is running 90%-100%, according to iCUE. Does that mean my CPU is not having to work very hard to keep up with what my GPU is currently doing? Task manager shows my memory running at 6000mhz, but iCUE only shows 3000mhz. Not sure if that's normal. I don't know what I should do. Did I kill my new graphics card somehow? Any help is very appreciated. I am no expert.
As for RAM that's normal in some software, if it shows 3000MHz it actually runs at 6000MHz because it's DDR (Double Data Rate). Actual frequency is 3000MHzbut transfer rate (actually working at) is 6,000MT/s.
Things I've tried:
-Unplugging and checking the connectors I had unplugged
-Unseating and reseating the RAM sticks
-Unseating and reseating the GPU
-Unplugging and checking the power connector for the GPU
-I rolled back to the previous version of Nvidia driver using DDU
Your PSU would be my first suspect, although just enough on paper it's quality and probably less power than indicated are doubtful.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2023
As for RAM that's normal in some software, if it shows 3000MHz it actually runs at 6000MHz because it's DDR (Double Data Rate). Actual frequency is 3000MHzbut transfer rate (actually working at) is 6,000MT/s.

Your PSU would be my first suspect, although just enough on paper it's quality and probably less power than indicated are doubtful.
So you suspect that my PSU might not have enough power? So maybe I should go for 1000W? Is it possible that it had enough juice to power everything for the last week when it was working fine, then to just suddenly not be able to handle it? Thanks for your reply. This issue has been driving me nuts.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Please run Gpu-Z, and click on settings(the 3 bars in the top-right corner of the window).
In the new window, click the sensors tab, then at 'sensor display mode', click highest, then OK.
Click sensors tab, and stretch the window vertically so all the parameters are visible, then leave Gpu-Z running.
Play the problem game for at least a few minutes, then pull up Gpu-Z and take a screenshot(camera icon).
Post image here. You must use an image hosting site - imgur or other - to post, or nothing appears.

Did you check if it was only in Starfield?

Reactions: CountMike
So you suspect that my PSU might not have enough power? So maybe I should go for 1000W? Is it possible that it had enough juice to power everything for the last week when it was working fine, then to just suddenly not be able to handle it? Thanks for your reply. This issue has been driving me nuts.
Overloaded PSU can deteriorate fast.
Another point about PSUs. Total power delivery is not only parameter, each branch has own regulator and incases like this it's possible that PCIe supply lane does not deliver enough Amperage.