[SOLVED] Help, i think windows installer corrupted my ubuntu installation

Sep 1, 2015
Hi, as the title says im worried that after installing windows my ubuntu is no longer working properly. I have two drives, one nvme drive on which i had already installed ubuntu and then i bought another 2.5 ssd to install windows on. I have read that it is recomended to remove the drives that you are not going to install the os on while installing it but that it only was a problem not to if you accidentally told the installer to install on the wrong disk. I also saw on a windows forum that the windows installer only install on the disk that you select. I choose not to,i guess because i was lazy (taking out the m.2 disk takes a little more effort). However when i installed windows using an official windows flash drive, and i know and i want to stress that, that i choose the right drive. But for some reason windows decided to make a master boot record on the m.2 disk not the 2.5 ssd so now it has a ubuntu m.2 boot option and a windows m.2 boot option, the windows version works properly but the ubuntu version while, it does boot and login i cannot use many of the features, can't logout or shut down for example and the mouse wont work half the time. Also there seem to be a difference on booting to windows from boot override or automatic booting as booting automatically causes an error while using boot override makes windows boot perfectly. Any help would be really appreciated.
YiAahL0.jpg

Solution
D
When you install windows you are supposed to disconnect every other drive and if you don’t windows will put boot files on other drives that are connected and this is what has happened most likely. You even stated you didn’t do it because you were lazy. Now you have another problem if you take out the Ubuntu drive your windows drive won’t boot
Sep 1, 2015
This is weird to me, so i tried booting into ubuntu a second time and this time it worked perfectly as usual.
I don't understand how the windows boot manager could be installed on the M.2 drive though when i choose the selected the other drive for installation. Clearly there is something i don't understand about how this stuff works, could anyone point me in direction of what i need to learn to understand this?

D

Deleted member 14196

When you install windows you are supposed to disconnect every other drive and if you don’t windows will put boot files on other drives that are connected and this is what has happened most likely. You even stated you didn’t do it because you were lazy. Now you have another problem if you take out the Ubuntu drive your windows drive won’t boot

Solution
Sep 1, 2015
I see, i really wish i had known this then i wouldn't have risked leaving it in. Since both ubuntu and windows is working (at least currently) does that mean i was just lucky that windows didn't override any important data or can windows register that there already was another boot loader and then stored it at another location on the disk? I would have assumed windows would have just overridden it.