[SOLVED] HELP I5 9600K NOT BOOSTING FULLY

Feb 3, 2021
Okay I have a problem and its causing me performance issues so my brother help me build the pc he installed the cooler and then everything was fine and then like 3 weeks later I got thee same cooler but with rgb hyper 212 rgb black edition I took out the othere cooler and had same brackets and the cooler that was already in was upside down but I placed the new cooler upside up and powered pc on it started causing pereformance issues out of no where and I benchmark and its saying that my cpu and gpu is below expectation and it was not like that before at all. Any Fix Plz?

Benchmark: Asus PRIME Z390-A Performance Results - UserBenchmark

Feb 3, 2021
Its at 4.3ghz wont go to 4.6 and causing low fps in my games. Also could this mean my motherboard is defective which means something is wrong with it? I contacted asus and they said it can be or something But I doubt it

GregoryDude

Distinguished
May 16, 2015
What are your idle CPU temps and CPU temps when under load? You can use HWMonitor or your motherboard manufacturer software to see those.

If it's not boosting or sustaining its boost, it could be thermal throttling. Or if your voltages are not properly set, power throttling. Hard to say without knowing temps and peak temps.

Feb 3, 2021
What are your idle CPU temps and CPU temps when under load? You can use HWMonitor or your motherboard manufacturer software to see those.

If it's not boosting or sustaining its boost, it could be thermal throttling. Or if your voltages are not properly set, power throttling. Hard to say without knowing temps and peak temps.
Okay this is in desktop no games open:
unknown.png

Currently On fortnite and I get this:

unknown.png

Also could this mean that One of my components is damaged?

The advertised turbo boost is only when 1-2 cores of the processor are being used. If any more start being used, the turbo boost frequency lowers. So unless you're running games meant for a potato or games from the 2000s, this is normal behavior.

You can try and see if your motherboard has a so-called "All-core boost" feature which forces every core to boost up to 4.6GHz, but in practice it may not offer much more performance.

Feb 3, 2021
The advertised turbo boost is only when 1-2 cores of the processor are being used. If any more start being used, the turbo boost frequency lowers. So unless you're running games meant for a potato or games from the 2000s, this is normal behavior.

You can try and see if your motherboard has a so-called "All-core boost" feature which forces every core to boost up to 4.6GHz, but in practice it may not offer much more performance.
Hello I need help finding that on my bios I cant seem to find it also if its multi core enhancement then that didnt work I tried enabling and disabling it and it still didnt get up to 4.6 ghz and felt under performed. Even userbenchmarks shows it

Hello I need help finding that on my bios I cant seem to find it also if its multi core enhancement then that didnt work I tried enabling and disabling it and it still didnt get up to 4.6 ghz and felt under performed. Even userbenchmarks shows it
I believe in ASUS's BIOS the feature is called "Multi-core enhancement" A cursory glance on the internet tells me there may be another feature called "sync all cores" that needs to be set to "all cores"

Also don't use Userbenchmark to determine if your computer is running within expectations. Use professional reviews and run the benchmarks they've used against your computer. The problem with Userbenchmark is because the scores compared are user submitted, this may skew the perception of "normal" towards the higher end of performance where people have been overclocking.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
There is no option on all cores there is sync all core and per core and auto
That 4.3 is actually right for the all core turbo speed.

Boost Frequency4.6 GHz (1 Core)4.5 GHz (2 Core)4.4 GHz (4 Core)4.3 GHz (6 Core)

Don't rely on userbenchmark for real results since it also compares your at regular boost speeds to others that have their overclocked to a higher all core speed.

EDIT if you wish to overclock do it manually in BIOS (the right way) their tons of guides on the net.
Don't expect to get a all core speed in the 4.8 area or something with that budget cooler.

EDIT again just so you know if you overclocked to a all core speed of 4.6 you picked up in theory about 7% if the game can even fully use all cores and your video card can keep up so if you were getting 100FPS in theory you would then get 107 FPS is it even worth the trouble?

If you overclocked to all cores 4.8 you would be in the 11% area so from 100 FPS to 111 FPS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88
Feb 3, 2021
That 4.3 is actually right for the all core turbo speed.

Boost Frequency4.6 GHz (1 Core)4.5 GHz (2 Core)4.4 GHz (4 Core)4.3 GHz (6 Core)

Don't rely on userbenchmark for real results since it also compares your at regular boost speeds to others that have their overclocked to a higher all core speed.

EDIT if you wish to overclock do it manually in BIOS (the right way) their tons of guides on the net.
Don't expect to get a all core speed in the 4.8 area or something with that budget cooler.

EDIT again just so you know if you overclocked to a all core speed of 4.6 you picked up in theory about 7% if the game can even fully use all cores and your video card can keep up so if you were getting 100FPS in theory you would then get 107 FPS is it even worth the trouble?

If you overclocked to all cores 4.8 you would be in the 11% area so from 100 FPS to 111 FPS.
I can overclock but it does not go max than 4.99 ghz but the problem is that before I overclocked and it would be at almost 5.2ghz and felt so smooth on games and now it feels like freeking crap I enhanced the limit but I'm still not at 4.6 ghz pls help me this is very frustrating for me.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I can overclock but it does not go max than 4.99 ghz but the problem is that before I overclocked and it would be at almost 5.2ghz and felt so smooth on games and now it feels like freeking crap I enhanced the limit but I'm still not at 4.6 ghz pls help me this is very frustrating for me.
Sorry nothing personal BUT your exact words

the problem is that before I overclocked and it would be at almost 5.2ghz

No it did not the normal single core boost speed 4.6 that is what you get without overclocking and I find it hard to believe you could even overclock to 5.2 with that processor and cooler.

Feb 3, 2021

No it did not the normal single core boost speed 4.6 that is what you get without overclocking and I find it hard to believe you could even overclock to 5.2 with that processor and cooler.

Overclock my cpu went up to 5.18ghz almost at 5.2 and now its just trash when I swapped out cooler as soon as I swapped out cooler it started being very underperforming but pls help me fix my turbo

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Overclock my cpu went up to 5.18ghz almost at 5.2 and now its just trash when I swapped out cooler as soon as I swapped out cooler it started being very underperforming but pls help me fix my turbo
Swapped out the cooler from what to what? what are your temps running a stress test.

Your post is making no since, first you say your turbo speed is not 4.6 yet is should only be like 4.3 as it was, now your saying your overclocking but you were not overclocking, then you say the boost speed was 5.2 (that's impossible) now your saying you were overclocking but changed coolers and it went back to normal boost speed.

I'm sorry I can't help you as the facts are changing with every post you make. I'm not looking at your PC and your changing what is going on every time you post.

EDIT if I was in front of your PC I could probably get you a all core overclock close to 5.0 with proper cooling but I can only go from what you say on the net and your changing everything with ever post you make.

EDIT again when you overclock the processor you went past the turbo boost or should of so their no way I can fix your turbo boost.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021
Swapped out the cooler from what to what? what are your temps running a stress test.

Your post is making no since, first you say your turbo speed is not 4.6 yet is should only be like 4.3 as it was, now your saying your overclocking but you were not overclocking, then you say the boost speed was 5.2 (that's impossible) now your saying you were overclocking but changed coolers and it went back to normal boost speed.

I'm sorry I can't help you as the facts are changing with every post you make. I'm not looking at your PC and your changing what is going on every time you post.

EDIT if I was in front of your PC I could probably get you a all core overclock close to 5.0 with proper cooling but I can only go from what you say on the net and your changing everything with ever post you make.

EDIT again when you overclock the processor you went past the turbo boost or should of so their no way I can fix your turbo boost.
I have a hyper 212 rgb cooler and before not overclock would reach 4.6 ghz now its just at 4.3 and running games my fps decreased dramatically So that's why I really need help or I want to know if the CPU or motherboard is damaged.

EDIT: I am doing research and I believe I have multi Core boost on which mean can affect performance and intel works better with single core boost so how do i just enable single core boost on my asus bios?

Last edited:
I have a hyper 212 rgb cooler and before not overclock would reach 4.6 ghz now its just at 4.3 and running games my fps decreased dramatically So that's why I really need help or I want to know if the CPU or motherboard is damaged.

EDIT: I am doing research and I believe I have multi Core boost on which mean can affect performance and intel works better with single core boost so how do i just enable single core boost on my asus bios?
You don't have to, that's the default behavior.

GregoryDude

Distinguished
May 16, 2015
It's not your cooler, your temps are fine. A setting could've gotten changed causing you issues, I'm not sure. Have you tried installing and running Intel's CPU utility software? Install that and run the CPU stress test, it only takes 5 minutes and when it's done it will show you what got throttled which may help you figure out why you are not hitting the clock speeds you're expecting.

Feb 3, 2021
It's not your cooler, your temps are fine. A setting could've gotten changed causing you issues, I'm not sure. Have you tried installing and running Intel's CPU utility software? Install that and run the CPU stress test, it only takes 5 minutes and when it's done it will show you what got throttled which may help you figure out why you are not hitting the clock speeds you're expecting.

I installed the software but nothing is happening and also I pressed overclock on a setting and it was like how it was before but it still feels very underperforming I am getting very low fps in games.

EDIT1: I got it to work the software and I ran a cpu test with , Ratio/Voltage tuning mode is in per code and I turned on Thermal Velocity Boost and this my temperatures using core temp.
unknown.png

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021

Also I used to get almost 300 fps on high settings in fortnite and now I am running 80 fps medium settings