Help idenity this Asteroids monitor overlay. Is this origi..

Status
Not open for further replies.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13716&item=6184645670&rd=1

I was looking at the above auction, and noticed the screen overlay.
I've heard a few rumors of screen overlays on Asteroids machine, but
the only time I ever saw one was the very first Asteroids machine I
ever played.

I picked up a very similar looking overlays, but noticed the artwork
had a date of 1980 on it. Asteroids came out in 1979, so i'm not sure
if it's from Asteroids.

Any ideas?

Troy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003

Star Castle 1980

Troy,

"Nate Goulet" <askifyouwantaaddress@yahoo.com> wrote in message

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13716&item=6184645670
&rd=1

> I was looking at the above auction, and noticed the screen overlay.
> I've heard a few rumors of screen overlays on Asteroids machine, but
> the only time I ever saw one was the very first Asteroids machine I
> ever played.
>
> I picked up a very similar looking overlays, but noticed the artwork
> had a date of 1980 on it. Asteroids came out in 1979, so i'm not sure
> if it's from Asteroids.
>
> Any ideas?

Wow, that's one smokin' auction description. That guy should go into
sales.

If it's a Star Castle overlay, it's not the same one that most
upright versions of Star Castle have.

I bought one of these overlays from a seller that assumed it was from
Star Castle, and I noticed it was different.

Shortly afterwards, I also bought a standard Star Castle overlay from
the upright version.

The overlay on this Asteroids auction, and the unidentified one I
have, has gradients in places that i've never seen on a Star Castle
machine. Also, alll of the upright Star Castle overlays i've seen are
curved to fit the monitor and have foam holders on the sides, where as
this Asteroids overlay is completely flat.

Did Cinematronics make more than one version of their overlays?

I find it odd that the very first Asteroids I ever saw had what looked
like a Star Castle overlay, before I had ever seen a Star Castle. I
never saw another Asteroids like that.

A year ago I saw a couple people posting messages online about how
some early production runs of Asteroids featured an overlay similar to
Star Castle.

I'm unsure if those rumors were true. Back in the 70s & 80s I spent
"my life" running from one arcade to the next, so I think it's safe to
say the first Asteroids machine I saw was probably an early model.

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 23:30:06 -0700, "Troy" <troyl@lvcm.com> wrote:

>Star Castle 1980
>

>Troy,
>

>"Nate Goulet" <askifyouwantaaddress@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13716&item=6184645670
>&rd=1
>>
>> I was looking at the above auction, and noticed the screen overlay.
>> I've heard a few rumors of screen overlays on Asteroids machine, but
>> the only time I ever saw one was the very first Asteroids machine I
>> ever played.
>>
>> I picked up a very similar looking overlays, but noticed the artwork
>> had a date of 1980 on it. Asteroids came out in 1979, so i'm not sure
>> if it's from Asteroids.
>>
>> Any ideas?

I was also wondering if Asteroids really came out in early 1980 rather
than 1979.

Asteroids Deluxe first was released around the spring of 1981, but the
copyright date says 1980.

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 23:30:06 -0700, "Troy" <troyl@lvcm.com> wrote:

>Star Castle 1980
>

>Troy,
>

>"Nate Goulet" <askifyouwantaaddress@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13716&item=6184645670
>&rd=1
>>
>> I was looking at the above auction, and noticed the screen overlay.
>> I've heard a few rumors of screen overlays on Asteroids machine, but
>> the only time I ever saw one was the very first Asteroids machine I
>> ever played.
>>
>> I picked up a very similar looking overlays, but noticed the artwork
>> had a date of 1980 on it. Asteroids came out in 1979, so i'm not sure
>> if it's from Asteroids.
>>
>> Any ideas?

Troy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003

Asteroids came out on 1979.
it could be the version made by Hoei
They made a version of star castle with a little bit different overlay.

> I was also wondering if Asteroids really came out in early 1980 rather
> than 1979.
>
> Asteroids Deluxe first was released around the spring of 1981, but the
> copyright date says 1980.
>

> On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 23:30:06 -0700, "Troy" <troyl@lvcm.com> wrote:
>
> >Star Castle 1980
> >

> >Troy,
> >

> >"Nate Goulet" <askifyouwantaaddress@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >>

>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13716&item=618464567
0
> >&rd=1
> >>
> >> I was looking at the above auction, and noticed the screen overlay.
> >> I've heard a few rumors of screen overlays on Asteroids machine, but
> >> the only time I ever saw one was the very first Asteroids machine I
> >> ever played.
> >>
> >> I picked up a very similar looking overlays, but noticed the artwork
> >> had a date of 1980 on it. Asteroids came out in 1979, so i'm not sure
> >> if it's from Asteroids.
> >>
> >> Any ideas?

look closely in the middle.. you can see the concentric colored circles...

> If it's a Star Castle overlay, it's not the same one that most
> upright versions of Star Castle have.
>
> I bought one of these overlays from a seller that assumed it was from
> Star Castle, and I noticed it was different.
>
> Shortly afterwards, I also bought a standard Star Castle overlay from
> the upright version.
>
> The overlay on this Asteroids auction, and the unidentified one I
> have, has gradients in places that i've never seen on a Star Castle
> machine. Also, alll of the upright Star Castle overlays i've seen are
> curved to fit the monitor and have foam holders on the sides, where as
> this Asteroids overlay is completely flat.
>
> Did Cinematronics make more than one version of their overlays?
>
> I find it odd that the very first Asteroids I ever saw had what looked
> like a Star Castle overlay, before I had ever seen a Star Castle. I
> never saw another Asteroids like that.
>
> A year ago I saw a couple people posting messages online about how
> some early production runs of Asteroids featured an overlay similar to
> Star Castle.
>
> I'm unsure if those rumors were true. Back in the 70s & 80s I spent
> "my life" running from one arcade to the next, so I think it's safe to
> say the first Asteroids machine I saw was probably an early model.
>
> On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 23:30:06 -0700, "Troy" <troyl@lvcm.com> wrote:
>
>>Star Castle 1980
>>

>>Troy,
>>

>>"Nate Goulet" <askifyouwantaaddress@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13716&item=6184645670
>>&rd=1
>>>
>>> I was looking at the above auction, and noticed the screen overlay.
>>> I've heard a few rumors of screen overlays on Asteroids machine, but
>>> the only time I ever saw one was the very first Asteroids machine I
>>> ever played.
>>>
>>> I picked up a very similar looking overlays, but noticed the artwork
>>> had a date of 1980 on it. Asteroids came out in 1979, so i'm not sure
>>> if it's from Asteroids.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?

I recall an Asteroids machine in a Hills Dept store back in the day
(1980ish - I was still a hardcore Asteroids player, so it was early on) with
the "Star Castle" overlay on it... Thought it was neat at the time..

--
-Steve P.

All messages are scanned with Norton Anti-Virus

"Steve Muccione" <home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote in message
> look closely in the middle.. you can see the concentric colored circles...
>
> "Nate Goulet" <askifyouwantaaddress@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> If it's a Star Castle overlay, it's not the same one that most
>> upright versions of Star Castle have.
>>
>> I bought one of these overlays from a seller that assumed it was from
>> Star Castle, and I noticed it was different.
>>
>> Shortly afterwards, I also bought a standard Star Castle overlay from
>> the upright version.
>>
>> The overlay on this Asteroids auction, and the unidentified one I
>> have, has gradients in places that i've never seen on a Star Castle
>> machine. Also, alll of the upright Star Castle overlays i've seen are
>> curved to fit the monitor and have foam holders on the sides, where as
>> this Asteroids overlay is completely flat.
>>
>> Did Cinematronics make more than one version of their overlays?
>>
>> I find it odd that the very first Asteroids I ever saw had what looked
>> like a Star Castle overlay, before I had ever seen a Star Castle. I
>> never saw another Asteroids like that.
>>
>> A year ago I saw a couple people posting messages online about how
>> some early production runs of Asteroids featured an overlay similar to
>> Star Castle.
>>
>> I'm unsure if those rumors were true. Back in the 70s & 80s I spent
>> "my life" running from one arcade to the next, so I think it's safe to
>> say the first Asteroids machine I saw was probably an early model.
>>
>> On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 23:30:06 -0700, "Troy" <troyl@lvcm.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Star Castle 1980
>>>

>>>Troy,
>>>

>>>"Nate Goulet" <askifyouwantaaddress@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>>
>>>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13716&item=6184645670
>>>&rd=1

Didn't WICO offer these back in the day?

My current Asteroids -- an early one with the older coin door and older
monitor version like this one -- has one of those overlays in the cabinet
rolled up that was never installed. I assumed it was an aftermarket overlay
someone made to soup up an Asteroids machine that had been on route for a
year. But it's possible that maybe a run of early Asteroids shipped with
them if people have only spotted these with the earlier machines.
--dan

"Nate Goulet" <askifyouwantaaddress@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13716&item=6184645670&rd=1
>
> I was looking at the above auction, and noticed the screen overlay.
> I've heard a few rumors of screen overlays on Asteroids machine, but
> the only time I ever saw one was the very first Asteroids machine I
> ever played.
>
> I picked up a very similar looking overlays, but noticed the artwork
> had a date of 1980 on it. Asteroids came out in 1979, so i'm not sure
> if it's from Asteroids.
>
> Any ideas?

>My current Asteroids -- an early one with the older coin door and older
>monitor version like this one -- has one of those overlays in the cabinet
>rolled up that was never installed. I assumed it was an aftermarket overlay
>someone made to soup up an Asteroids machine that had been on route for a
>year. But it's possible that maybe a run of early Asteroids shipped with
>them if people have only spotted these with the earlier machines.
>--dan

That's the part that's got me. The very first Asteroids I
remembering seeing had the overlay, and I visited arcades weekly at
the very least.