Help identifying an SMD compent on motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmd1990

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017
I have a Lenovo yoga 3 pro 1370 with a burnt smd component on the mother board near where the power connector is. I can Not find a schematic for this motherboard. Is there a way to visually identify what the component is? I would like to try and harvest the part from another board and attempt to repair this machine. I do have a picture taken with digital microscope.
Or does anyone know where I can find a schematic for this motherboard?

Solution
I am probably the last person to ask on posting pictures online...
my current approach is to paste the photo in a google doc, and then share that doc via link... (I know it is really silly)

I have a lot of respect for you going and grabbing laptops from an e waste bin, that is how I got two macbooks, and my phenom II X4 system (last year and teh year before at earth day fairs respectively(tomorrow I go again this year :))). Reusing old electronics is many times more eco friendly than recycling due to all the energy spent in the recycling process.

don't worry about frying it, it was at best e waste to start, and you learned on something that is not your personal computer.
Motherboard schematics are very hard to find. especially on non apple products. do you have the picture? just be aware, swapping out the part might not be the fix, and it could actually make things worse, if that component acted as a fuse and saved other parts.

gmd1990

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017

As much as I hate to admit I actually fried this component. I picked this laptop from and e-waste bin, basically complete, dead battery, no power adapter, bought an adapter, fried it, figure out power-connector shorted to chassis, decided to try and charge battery direct with universal power-supply, foolishly didn't unplug battery first, heard a pop, etc.
I do have a picture but I can't figure out how to post it, any hints on how to post a picture?

I am probably the last person to ask on posting pictures online...
my current approach is to paste the photo in a google doc, and then share that doc via link... (I know it is really silly)

I have a lot of respect for you going and grabbing laptops from an e waste bin, that is how I got two macbooks, and my phenom II X4 system (last year and teh year before at earth day fairs respectively(tomorrow I go again this year :))). Reusing old electronics is many times more eco friendly than recycling due to all the energy spent in the recycling process.

don't worry about frying it, it was at best e waste to start, and you learned on something that is not your personal computer.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.