[SOLVED] Help Identifying and logging in to access point/ repeater?

Aug 12, 2021
Long story short, I was using xplornet satellite internet and am now using Starlink. There is an "access point" hard wired to our asus router RT-AX58U that I am unable to identify that was installed by an xplornet technician. It projects our wifi from one house to another and has a different SSID. It is powered using an ubiquiti POE but I don't believe the "dish" is ubiquiti as there are no identifying markings on it. I would like to be able to log into it or figure out what the settings are/change the password on it but I have no idea where to start. Does anyone here have an idea? Everything is working as plug and play but I would like to look into it to see if I should replace it with something newer/ better as it was installed specifically for the terrible service that is xplornet satellite internet.

Last edited:
Solution
Hard to say exactly how equipment works since manufactures use different methods. In some ways it is surprising you even see a SSID. Most these units run as point to point bridge they tend to be completely transparent, they look like a ethernet cable to the stuff hooked on either end. Even if it is running as a AP it is mostly transparent.

What you have to do is somehow find the IP address that was assigned to it. It may not even be on the same subnet since you only use the IP address to configure the device the end user data does not use the IP address. It might still have the factory default IP. As a last option almost all devices have some way to factory reset them.
Aug 12, 2021
it’s just the one “dish”. That one looks similar but it’s not the one. I’ve also installed the unifi controller app to try and recognize it but it doesn’t. If I sign into the dishes ssid and type the up address it just takes me to the main router that the dish is plugged into.

Last edited:
Hard to say exactly how equipment works since manufactures use different methods. In some ways it is surprising you even see a SSID. Most these units run as point to point bridge they tend to be completely transparent, they look like a ethernet cable to the stuff hooked on either end. Even if it is running as a AP it is mostly transparent.

What you have to do is somehow find the IP address that was assigned to it. It may not even be on the same subnet since you only use the IP address to configure the device the end user data does not use the IP address. It might still have the factory default IP. As a last option almost all devices have some way to factory reset them.

Reactions: byounghusband
Solution
Aug 12, 2021

Yes, excellent points! Thanks for responding. It has its own ssid and separate password. I’m going to keep looking for the ip and if not I will try to find a reset somewhere on it.

kanewolf

Titan
it’s just the one “dish”. That one looks similar but it’s not the one. I’ve also installed the unifi controller app to try and recognize it but it doesn’t. If I sign into the dishes ssid and type the up address it just takes me to the main router that the dish is plugged into.
The UNIFI controller does not communicate with AirMax devices. They are two independent product lines.
You will probably have to factory reset the dish to get a login -- https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/204952264-airMAX-How-to-Factory-Default-the-airGateway

Reactions: byounghusband
Aug 12, 2021
Separate topic, but how do you like your new starlink?

sorry I missed this. Starlink has been a game changer so far. It’s really important that it’s not obstructed at all and has a clear view of the sky, but it is night and day and it costs half the price monthly for us at the “base” price of regular satelite. Our xplornet (hughesnet in the states I believe) bill this month is 700 dollars because of data overage, but we had to use it.

Reactions: gggplaya