Question Help identifying issue

Jul 2, 2019
Hello all, thanks for any help in advance its much appreciated! I recently did a budget partial build for a friend of mine. Replaced his super outdated components with the following:

Mobo:Gigabyte B450M DS3H
CPU: Ryzen 2600x
GPU:ROG RX570

I also added 16GB DDR4 2666 memory. Anyway, shipped him the computer everything ran fine for the first 36 hours. Starting yesterday he noticed while playing World of Warcraft his graphics would get pixelated off and on, followed by a black screen where the computer stays running, keyboard and mouse turn off and computer is totally unresponsive. Sometimes the screen will flicker and look a blueish color. Usually powering on and off about 4 times fixes the issue and itll boot up fine. One time yesterday he did get a BSOD saying Thread stuck in device driver. I've made sure his GPU driver is 100% up to date, windows is up to date. I checked his Bios version and it said f50 which is the most current from what I can find. I didnt replace his PSU it was a 1 month old 600W EVGA. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks

I should also add. The game (World of Warcraft) will run 100% smoothly for maybe 15-20 min. Than the graphics will start to flash pixelated off and on. Eventually just a black screen keyboard and mouse power off but pc stays running. Only got that blue screen twice out of probably 10 times.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019
Update: I did a GPU stress test on his computer. After about 2 minutes screen flashed black, came back on and the stress test window wasnt responding. Event logs show Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered. I'm not sure if that's related or just a common thing while doing a stress test

Jul 2, 2019
Was Windows reinstalled right after the cpu upgrade?

Did you use Display Driver Uninstaller to properly remove the old graphics driver, and then install the latest?
I actually reinstalled windows with his old hardware still in the computer. And just kept the hard drive in. And I actually didnt use ddu. Can try that though

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Well, Windows needs to be reinstalled with the new hardware.

2)Do let us know how DDU goes.

3)'Thread stuck in device driver'. Obvious driver conflict.
Reinstall Windows = the strongest driver troubleshooting solution available to you... as far as the C drive is concerned, anyways.

After that, install the latest motherboard drivers.

Jul 2, 2019
1)Well, Windows needs to be reinstalled with the new hardware.

2)Do let us know how DDU goes.

3)'Thread stuck in device driver'. Obvious driver conflict.
Reinstall Windows = the strongest driver troubleshooting solution available to you... as far as the C drive is concerned, anyways.

After that, install the latest motherboard drivers.
I actually haven't used DDU before, i know it says something about blocking windows update or turning off the internet. I'm connected to his PC through teamviewer, he lives in a different state. What is the best method of blocking it so windows doesn't automatically install a driver? I'm assuming that's why it asks for windows update to be blocked

Jul 2, 2019
At this point, it's a possibility - but that's why other tests are needed, to be entirely sure it is the gpu.
Could it have anything at all to do with the fact that the computer isn't recognizing the monitor? It says Generic PNP monitor, only is allowing for 60hz, even though its a 144hz monitor? Or would that not cause any of the issues he is having.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Could it have anything at all to do with the fact that the computer isn't recognizing the monitor? It says Generic PNP monitor, only is allowing for 60hz, even though its a 144hz monitor? Or would that not cause any of the issues he is having.
That Generic PNP monitor thing is Window's doing. It's normal.

What's the monitor?
Some older models can only do 144hz with specific plugs; 60hz with HDMI, 144hz with DVI, for example.

Jul 2, 2019
That Generic PNP monitor thing is Window's doing. It's normal.

What's the monitor?
Some older models can only do 144hz with specific plugs; 60hz with HDMI, 144hz with DVI, for example.
It's a VG248 I believe. So I went into device manager. Checked the display adapter for updates. It said there werent any. I went to let me choose from my computer or whatever. Chose from a list. Installed the older driver from windows. It immediately fixed the pixelation on the screen. Made it through a Furmark test for the first time since weve had this issue. And hes been on WoW for the longest time since this started. Had one screen flicker but it was brief. Could it be that simple?