Question Help identifying my Kingston HyperX RAM?

Jan 8, 2022
I’ve been struggling to figure out what sort of RAM I can add to my existing 16GB (2x8) of Kingston RAM (on a MSI Z170A Gaming 9 ACK motherboard, on a PC built by Origin PC). The problem is that I can’t determine the specs (e.g., latency timings) of the RAM I already have in order to find something that will work in conjunction with it, because the model number shown on the RAM doesn’t correspond to any model numbers available on either the Kingston or HyperX websites (in fact Google turns up nothing on it). The model number shown on the sticks of RAM is HX428C14FB/8 - OP, but everything after the “C14” part of that doesn’t seem to correspond to any documented Kingston or HyperX RAM, so I can’t even ask them because their support form bails out when I try to key in this model #. Can anyone enlighten me as to what this actually is, and perhaps what currently available DDR4 RAM would be able to be installed alongside it to bring my computer up to 32GB?

struggling to figure out what sort of RAM I can add to my existing 16GB (2x8)

you do not want to mix different kits of memory.
many times it will lead to instability or flat out inability for the system to function.
even if it does happen to run and boot into the OS it can also cause performance issues or other problems with data not perfectly syncing between the kits.

you'd be better off repurposing or selling the existing kit and getting a new 2x 16GB set.

Jan 8, 2022
you do not want to mix different kits of memory.
many times it will lead to instability or flat out inability for the system to function.
even if it does happen to run and boot into the OS it can also cause performance issues or other problems with data not perfectly syncing between the kits.

you'd be better off repurposing or selling the existing kit and getting a new 2x 16GB set.

I have a friend who is very knowledgeable about such things, who says that what you are describing only applies to trying to mix two different sticks of RAM into the same pair on the MB. He tells me that as long as you install RAM in pairs that were bought together, it should work. So you’re saying he is wrong?

Also, the original question remains open … what the heck is this RAM that I currently have, and why can!t I find any information about it online?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I have a friend who is very knowledgeable about such things, who says that what you are describing only applies to trying to mix two different sticks of RAM into the same pair on the MB. He tells me that as long as you install RAM in pairs that were bought together, it should work. So you’re saying he is wrong?

Also, the original question remains open … what the heck is this RAM that I currently have, and why can!t I find any information about it online?
https://www.kingston.com/unitedstates/us/memory/memory-part-number-decoder

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275011810899

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Thank you!
Also your friend is not very knowledgeable anytime you add more memory even the exact model number their a chance it will not work together.

The same model number of memory can actually be made of different parts.

EDIT and I 100% agree with John above sell what you have and buy a 2X16GB set! That way you know it will work instead of spending money and it might or might not work and end up buying more anyhow.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022
Also your friend is not very knowledgeable anytime you add more memory even the exact model number their a chance it will not work together.

The same model number of memory can actually be made of different parts.

EDIT and I 100% agree with John above sell what you have and buy a 2X16GB set! That way you know it will work instead of spending money and it might or might not work and end up buying more anyhow.

Okay, I’ll assume you two are right about that. Then, based upon the information on my current RAM gleaned from the model number above, would you say that the following would be a good memory upgrade solution for this computer (MSI Z170A Gaming M9 ACK, running an i7 6700K)? NewEgg’s tool says this G.Skill RAM is compatible with my motherboard, but I’d like to be sure I’m not going to end up with a slower memory solution than what I currently have. I’m using XMP1 with my current RAM to run it at 2800 MHz and 14-15-15-39 1.35V, but there’s no information on the product page about what XMP memory profiles are supported by this G.Skill RAM:

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820231969?Item=N82E16820231969

there’s no information on the product page about what XMP memory profiles are supported by this G.Skill RAM
XMP profiles are included in your motherboard BIOS info.
all they do is allow the memory manufacturer's rated specs to be initiated.
if the memory is listed in your motherboard's memory QVL then it's XMP profile will be included.

check on your motherboard manufacturer's product support page to ensure any kit you choose is included in it's QVL(Qualified Vendor List)
I’d like to be sure I’m not going to end up with a slower memory solution than what I currently have.
2666MHz CL15, the kit you selected, is slower than your current 2800MHz CL14 kit.

Jan 8, 2022
XMP profiles are included in your motherboard BIOS info.
all they do is allow the memory manufacturer's rated specs to be initiated.
if the memory is listed in your motherboard's memory QVL then it's XMP profile will be included.

check on your motherboard manufacturer's product support page to ensure any kit you choose is included in it's QVL(Qualified Vendor List)

2666MHz CL15, the kit you selected, is slower than your current 2800MHz CL14 kit.

Thanks … I was afraid it might be. Problem is, it looks like just about all of the DDR4 that’s currently available and listed as compatible with my MB may be slower than what I currently have. That, plus the MB being old enough that the most recent BIOS update looks to be four years old, tells me they won’t have XMP profiles for any currently available RAM.

The more I look at this, the more I think I might do better to just stick with what I have until I reach a point of being ready to build a whole new computer (something I’m definitely not going to be doing this year).

The help is much appreciated. I’m clearly getting too old for this stuff. :)

bfollett

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2005
Unless I've been really mis-informed through the years, xmp profiles are stored on the Dram modules themselves. You only need a motherboard that automatically uses them or has an enable xmp option in the bios.

Jan 8, 2022
Unless I've been really mis-informed through the years, xmp profiles are stored on the Dram modules themselves. You only need a motherboard that automatically uses them or has an enable xmp option in the bios.
No.
XMP profiles are stored in RAM modules.
Motherboard BIOS reads them from RAM modules.

This is what my friend (the one I believe to be knowledgeable but who has been belittled in this thread) had told me, too. I can’t understand why there’s so little clarity on what I’d think should be straightforward matters.

I’m still concerned that there don’t seem to be many if any 32GB DDR4 pairs that are compatible with my older (~2015) motherboard and have performance equal to or better than my existing modules. Is surrendering some performance inevitable when going from 8GB sticks to 16GB?

I’m still concerned that there don’t seem to be many if any 32GB DDR4 pairs that are compatible with my older (~2015) motherboard and have performance equal to or better than my existing modules. Is surrendering some performance inevitable when going from 8GB sticks to 16GB?

You have 16 now?

And want to move to 32?

The amount of RAM is much more important than the speed.

If you need 32, buy 32, regardless of speed.

I don't have the slightest idea if you "need" 32 or merely "want" 32.

But you personally may find the idea of "slow" RAM so repulsive that you'd rather stay where you are at 16. That's fine.

bfollett

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2005
Trying to add a second kit of memory to an existing kit of memory is never a great idea. Even if you can find a second kit identical to the first, the 2 kits may not play nice together. You would be better off selling off your original kit and buying a new kit. Your motherboard supports up to 3600(oc) ram. Just make sure your specific cpu also supports it.

Jan 8, 2022
You have 16 now?

And want to move to 32?

The amount of RAM is much more important than the speed.

If you need 32, buy 32, regardless of speed.

I don't have the slightest idea if you "need" 32 or merely "want" 32.

But you personally may find the idea of "slow" RAM so repulsive that you'd rather stay where you are at 16. That's fine.
what software are you using that is maxing out your current 16GB of RAM?

This PC is a dedicated gaming system, and I would like to be able to run Star Citizen and DCS World as well as possible, and both of those are widely reported to only really run smoothly with 32 GB of RAM. That’s the only reason … everything else I have on there is fine at 16 GB.

Sub Atomic Genius

Prominent
Aug 11, 2020
I’ve been struggling to figure out what sort of RAM I can add to my existing 16GB (2x8) of Kingston RAM (on a MSI Z170A Gaming 9 ACK motherboard, on a PC built by Origin PC). The problem is that I can’t determine the specs (e.g., latency timings) of the RAM I already have in order to find something that will work in conjunction with it, because the model number shown on the RAM doesn’t correspond to any model numbers available on either the Kingston or HyperX websites (in fact Google turns up nothing on it). The model number shown on the sticks of RAM is HX428C14FB/8 - OP, but everything after the “C14” part of that doesn’t seem to correspond to any documented Kingston or HyperX RAM, so I can’t even ask them because their support form bails out when I try to key in this model #. Can anyone enlighten me as to what this actually is, and perhaps what currently available DDR4 RAM would be able to be installed alongside it to bring my computer up to 32GB?
Your model# breaks down like this:
HX428C14FB/8 - OP = (HX)HyperX (4)DDR4 (28)2800MHz (C)UDIMM (14)CL14 (F)Fury (B)Black Heat Spreader (/8)8GB... The -OP isn't listed...