[HELP. IM DESPERATE] 100% disk usage even after factory reset (windows 10)

Sep 18, 2018
I asked multiple forums like reddit, Microsoft and dell and no one could fix my issue. I’ve done everything suggested by videos like disabling superfetch etc. Virtual memory. Registry changes. And many more. I went to clean boot then system restore and then finally factory reset. AND STILL 100% disk usage.

I bought this laptop less than a week ago and in just two days of using it it’s reached the issue. It happened after a windows update and from the resource monitor the high usage was from the location C:/ProgramData/SoftwareDistribution I believe. I understand this is because of the window update which just couldn’t complete (it kept freezing and was incredibly slow) Also the only time the usage dropped is when I removed svhost services. But a Redditor suggested that svhost was important and shouldn’t remove it.

It’s currently late at night right now, so I can provide new resource monitor screenshots later if anyone needs it to help me. Please ask me any questions regarding the issue that might help you in aiding me. Any last suggestions before I have to send the laptop to the Dell manufacturer? (my warranty ends end of November)

Any help would suffice. I’m just streessing our right now, especially sacrificing some of my files and downloads for this.

Specs: I5-7300HQ
GTX 1050
1TB HDD
8GB RAM

Solution

I'd replace the hard drive. There's no magic "you can absolutely fix this thing by taking this action," fixes in most cases. You've eliminated Windows as being a problem, the next thing is...
Sep 18, 2018
I ran the dell diagnostics and hd scan and it said there was no errors with the HDD. According to the Resource Monitor, all of the high disk usage is coming from C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution. Anyone know any solutions to this? I’m left the windows update overnight and all have been done expect for one which is ‘Feature update to Windows 10, version 1803.’ I’ll report again once this update is done but anyone know what might be causing SoftwareDistribution to have high disk write usage? I’m not fully sure if it’s the poor windows update causing this. I need an expert to confirm

Sep 18, 2018
I’ve done all updates and now software distribution isn’t causing the high usage. It’s random programs like nvidia installer and then seconds later it might be a svhost. It’s literally different things. It constantly changes. It sometimes dips down to like 20 secs for some time but will get back to 100%. I ran diagnostics and says nothing is wrong with the hard drive. I’ve read people with similar issues and when they changed their hard drive nothing worked. I don’t know what to do at this point. Please I’m begging what should I do now?!?! Bump

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

I'd replace the hard drive. There's no magic "you can absolutely fix this thing by taking this action," fixes in most cases. You've eliminated Windows as being a problem, the next thing is to try replacing the hard drive and seeing if it resolves your problem. If it doesn't, it's time to call Dell - you have a warranty and once you've done the things you can reasonably do on your own, it's time to use the warranty.

Solution