Question HELP. Im Stumped. PC Crashing

May 5, 2023
I recently upgraded my PC with an i7 13700k and Aurus Z790 Aurus Elite MB. Running a 3090 FE... So everything worked PERFECT until I later installed x2 new 980 Pro m.2.. Moved windows to one and games to the other. My pc would crash running any game...It would black screen and just lockup. I could run any stress test perfectly fine. I could not run any game for more then a few minutes. I Returned the m.2 and moved everything back to the original drives from before and now games running for an hour or so before crashing my PC. Is my 850w PSU not enough? IDK what it could be it waws perfectly fine before the new m.2 drives.

This is the error im getting in event Viewer before crashing.

"An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk3\DR3 during a paging operation."

BUT in my most recent crashes im not getting this message. When my game crashes and my PC does not i can no longer launch the game unless i reset my PC.

Im also getting Event ID 56 everytime it crashes if thats normal

May 5, 2023
What are the complete specs for this system (make/model of ALL installed components)?
i7 13700K
3090 FE
Gigabyte Aurus Elite AX
850w Powerspec PSU
Team Force DDR5 7600 (not even running XMP)
Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus 1TB m.2
WD Black 500gb m.2
256gb m.2 (windows Installed) i forget the brand

I Used to run Mild OC stable before I installed the New Hard drives and reinstalled everything 4.9GHZ & 7200 for the ram and barely anthing on the GPU so temps were never an issue for anything. But i have everything at DEFAULT right now to rule out that as an issue

Cooling is more than sufficient. Dynamic XL 10 Uni Fans, 360mm Corsair AIO

May 5, 2023
Copying/moving files from one device to another works well with non-program related files, like photos, and Microsoft documents, etc.. Games/programs not so well. I always reinstall games from scratch and have not had any issues.
I formatted EVERY Drive and started over like 5 times. I tried windows on multiple drives and games on every drive. This all started after I installed x2 new 980 Pro Gen 4 m.2 and Migrated windows to one and my games to the other. After that NOTHING would run without black screening my PC and lock it up. I returned the 980s thinking they were defective and installed a Sabrent and its better.... But i can barely play a game of warzone or an hour of forza. Its almost as if i have multiple things open it crashes quicker, discord, web browser etc... im runnning 3 monitors and always multi tasking

May 5, 2023
What was your original drive configuration?
How did you do this move/split?
I suspect you moved something to the second drive that needed to be kept on the C drive
I thought it was something of this sort to start because when i tried to reinstall windows it wouldn't even let me. It said something was missing and then when i tried installing windows by downloading it, it would say my PC isnt compatible for winows 10... Or 11... I FINALY was able to get an .ISO on a boot drive to install and wiped all drives and started fresh... Same issues

May 5, 2023
Yes I believe it’s the ones you linked. It’s and 850 gold but no RGB. I’d have to check when I get home but it’s 100% an 850 gold and I did get it from Microcenter. I also only have one power cable plugged into the top of my MB instead of using both power plugs. I read the 2nd isn’t needed.

Samsung Data Migration software allows you to clone one disk to another, making an exact duplicate. When you 'fresh installed', did you follow these instructions while your new motherboard and CPU were installed? If you did, did you follow up that fresh install by downloading and installing drivers, etc., from here?

Last edited:
May 5, 2023
Samsung Data Migration software allows you to clone one disk to another, making an exact duplicate. When you 'fresh installed', did you follow these instructions while your new motherboard and CPU were installed? If you did, did you follow up that fresh install by downloading and installing drivers, etc., from here?
I did have other drives installed but once I was on my desk top I double checked all my drives and saw they were 100% wiped too 0 bytes. And yes I used that exact website and installed almost all of these updates and bios etc…

May 5, 2023
Today i launched warzone the second i drop in the game crashed to desktop not a PC crash. BUT now it says "This app cant run on your PC" "To find a version for your pc, check with the software publisher" The only way to re launch warzone again is to reset my PC. This happens with any game that crashes now. I have to restart to play any game once on game crashes

Event Viewer LOG

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk3\DR3 during a paging operation.

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
Today i launched warzone the second i drop in the game crashed to desktop not a PC crash. BUT now it says "This app cant run on your PC" "To find a version for your pc, check with the software publisher" The only way to re launch warzone again is to reset my PC. This happens with any game that crashes now. I have to restart to play any game once on game crashes

Event Viewer LOG

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk3\DR3 during a paging operation.
Get a copy of 'who crashed'. It translates this stuff into plain english, with hyperlinks so you can do research.

Let us know what it says.

Reactions: 135kev
May 5, 2023
I'm assuming you installed 'who crashed'.

Try running it and tell us what it says.
Appreciate you following up. This was before I installed it, but the only logs that it picked up were 2 from April when it was running perfect. It said something about power/thermal issue but that was probably when I enable xmp and it wasn’t stable . I adjusted windows settings like it said and I’ll see if it picks up the crashes tonight

May 5, 2023
Update. Recent crashes aren’t blue screening so nothing is showing in the dump files. It black screens for a minute then reboots. When the PC finaly reboots it shows no bootable devices… until I hard reset it. Then it boots normal.

It sounds like there's a problem with the storage subsystem either the motherboard itself or the way the drives are setup. Which drive is Harddisk3? Did you have just one M.2 drive prior to the attempted upgrades?

Also do you have any low level control software like RGB/motherboard stuff? If so you might try uninstalling it. USB devices could potentially cause some conflicts as well. It is very odd that you didn't start having problems until trying out the new drives, but it doesn't mean something else couldn't be going on.

Last edited:
May 5, 2023
It sounds like there's a problem with the storage subsystem either the motherboard itself or the way the drives are setup. Which drive is Harddisk3? Did you have just one M.2 drive prior to the attempted upgrades?

Also do you have any low level control software like RGB/motherboard stuff? If so you might try uninstalling it. USB devices could potentially cause some conflicts as well. It is very odd that you didn't start having problems until trying out the new drives, but it doesn't mean something else couldn't be going on.

Harddisk 3 is my Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus drive. The drive my games were installed on. My current setup is I have windows in my bottom slot on my MB since its actually a SATA m.2 and that's the only compatible slot for it. The reason i bought new drives in the first place was to replace the SATA m.2 and install windows on it to run the new m.2 with windos in my first slots and have my other m.2 in the lower 3 slots. After i mograted windows to the new drive EVERYTHING was crashing. Games wouldnt last seconds before crashing. So i fresh installed everything and wiped every drive and it did not help whatsoever. I eventualy returned my new 980 Pros thinking it was them and intalled the new Sabrent and had the same issues. I wiped EVERYTHING again and installed winows onto my old SATA m.2 and im where im at now. Everything work a LITTLE better where i can actualy play for a little bit depending what game im playing but its still crashing. As far as software for RGB. Im only running Icue and Gigabyte Control Center.

Harddisk 3 is my Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus drive. The drive my games were installed on. My current setup is I have windows in my bottom slot on my MB since its actually a SATA m.2 and that's the only compatible slot for it. The reason i bought new drives in the first place was to replace the SATA m.2 and install windows on it to run the new m.2 with windos in my first slots and have my other m.2 in the lower 3 slots. After i mograted windows to the new drive EVERYTHING was crashing. Games wouldnt last seconds before crashing. So i fresh installed everything and wiped every drive and it did not help whatsoever. I eventualy returned my new 980 Pros thinking it was them and intalled the new Sabrent and had the same issues. I wiped EVERYTHING again and installed winows onto my old SATA m.2 and im where im at now. Everything work a LITTLE better where i can actualy play for a little bit depending what game im playing but its still crashing. As far as software for RGB. Im only running Icue and Gigabyte Control Center.
This sadly sounds like you might have a faulty motherboard, or potentially CPU (CPU provides first slot lanes). You've tried multiple reliable brands of SSD and had similar problems so I highly doubt it's the SSD or your installation of it.