Question Help in analyzing mini dumps - windows crashes during gaming

Mar 19, 2023
Hi guys, could you help me with getting to the root of the problem I'm having?
I haven't played games in a while, recently I installed CS GO and Fortnite. In both, after some time (usually 10-20 mins), a BSOD appears. Both games are installed on a new Lexar nm620, system is installed on a different SSD drive. BSODs appear only while gaming and haven't happened during "normal" daily usage of PC.
System specs: ryzen 5 2600, GTX 1080, 32GB (4x8) ram, msi b450.
Do you need to know anything more? Thanks!

[Mini dump files]

firrst bsod points to hardware memory corruption
second bsod points to widows files corruption

you might want to consider running memtest and if it fails, disable XMP or reduce ram clock, once ram gets stable, then you can proceed fixing your corrupted storage files due to memory errors by running those commands in elevated prompt
chkdsk c: /f
sfc /scannow
dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth

Mar 19, 2023
Thanks, guys.

@hotaru.hino thanks for the link, I have installed it, most BSODs refer to memory problems.

@kerberos_20 I cannot run memtest until Tuesday (don't have a USB drive atm), but I recall changing ram frequencies from ~2900 to 3200 not long ago. Can it be the source of the problems? I'll try lowering it.

unable to read info about the hardware or bios. often this means the bios is very out of date or the machine is very old.
for a b450 motherboard I should be able to read the hardware info. You might go into bios and reset it to defaults or update it and save and reboot.

since you are running generic microsoft drivers but with some outdated amd drivers. you should update the bios and motherboard drivers from the motherboard vendors website.

use microsoft autoruns64 to remove the scarlet crush driver.

normally, you see a graphics memory dump like this due to audio drivers (or microphone drivers)

not sure what pangpd.sys does (vpn?)
nahimic_mirroring.sys (microphone?)
networx.sys from 2016 (network services to fed agencies?)

hard to tell what driver caused the corruption. You can guess, update or remove drivers or use verifier and force the system to bugcheck at the time of corruption.
I would remove the scarlet crush driver and the microphone driver. decide about if you need the vpn and networx driver. if you keep them, look for a update.

note: bunch of your amd chipset drivers are old, you might update them directly from amd but be sure to update the bios also or they may not work correctly.

==============

bugcheck on 3/19
direct x graphic kernel corruption overwrote guard data structure.

debugger did not find corrupted windows core files.
except amdpsp.sys this looks like a versions from 2017

remove scpvbus.sys may 4 2013. you need a version compiled in 2016 or newer (most likely unrelated to this bugcheck)

second bugcheck was due to a ip alightment error

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2023
I couldn't find 'scarlet crush driver'.
I deleted networx, I was using it a couple of years ago.
I updated Windows, bios, chipset and set ram to 2933. No BSOD since then, so I guess it's fixed. Thanks, guys!

Ralston18

Titan
Also look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for errors, warnings, and even informational events just prior to or at the time of the BSODs.

Start with Reliability History. The timeline format may prove helpful.

Look for patterns of errors.

Colif

Win 11 Master
There's an app called WhoCrashed that'll read the minidump and typically point you to the file in question that caused the problem. I believe it'll also tell you the last few events leading up to that point.
90% of the time it will blame ntoskrnl. It might have been what crashed but the windows kernel isn't going to be the actual cause of a BSOD. In most cases.

Scarlet Crush - drivers used for Playstation controllers. Generic, might be used by the program you use to control the controller.

Reactions: Pistolpackin