Help in choosing a graphics card.

SIdiouth

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016
A few things to mention first: Money is no object, I can save up as long as I have to to get the part I want. I'll be using a single 1080p monitor for the foreseeable future, but I do want to upgrade to dual. I'm interested in Crossfire/SLI, but if it's more trouble than it's worth, I'll skip. I intend to play games like The Witcher 3, Metro Last Light Redux, Mankind Divided, etc. (I know these are not the most intense games out there, but meh.) Not on Ultra settings, I can settle for a solid 60FPS and lesser visuals.

I started with a list of manufacturers. Let me know if you know better ones.
AMD: ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, and Sapphire.
NVIDIA: ASUS, EVGA, Gigabyte, and MSI.

Second, the cards I'm looking at:
AMD: Fury x, Fury, and 390x
NVIDIA: 980Ti or 980.
I have a tendency to overbuild, so if I can get the job done with a less powerful card, still hit 60FPS, but not have to upgrade in 2 years. That would be optimum.

I did hear from another post that the R9 390x is better for 1080p gaming than either of the Fury's, but that seems ridiculous.
I should be using a Full ATX case, if that's relevant.
One thing I have no currently plans of doing is overclocking.

Solution
With your description of your needs you could tag along a 970/980. But if you have the cash grab the 980ti. Although you should be doing 1440p gaming on those. On 1080p I doubt you could get 100% usage out of it.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

980 ti

390x is also a good choice given the fact you dont mind lowering some settings

the other choices are not relevant

ael00

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
With your description of your needs you could tag along a 970/980. But if you have the cash grab the 980ti. Although you should be doing 1440p gaming on those. On 1080p I doubt you could get 100% usage out of it.

Solution

SIdiouth

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016

Would I be able to get maximum usage out of it considering I'm using a 1080p monitor?