Question Help in recovering data from an SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamer_extreme_111

Commendable
Jul 14, 2020
So I have files that I need to recover in my 1TB SSD my recent history with it is that I fully formatted it so that I could remove my old os then after that I tried to transfer an image backup in it and I fully formatted it again now I have files that I need on the old os that is in the documents in this pc I know it may be unlikely to restore it due to the chances it may have been overwritten and fully formatted twice but I'm really desperate on the files in the old os any advice or help on what to do would be appreciated

A trim command (known as TRIM in the ATA command set and UNMAP in the SCSI command set) allows an operating system to inform a solid-state drive (SSD) which blocks of data are no longer considered to be 'in use' and therefore can be erased internally[1]Trim was introduced soon after SSDs were introduced Because low-level operation of SSDs differs significantly from hard drives the typical way in which operating systems handle operations like deletes and formats resulted in unanticipated progressive performance degradation of write operations on SSDs[2] Trimming enables the SSD to more efficiently handle garbage collection which would otherwise slow future write operations to the involved blocks[3]Although tools to "reset" some drives to a fresh state were already available before the introduction of trimming they also delete all data on the drive which makes them impractical to use for ongoing optimization[4] As of 2022 many SSDs and USB flash drives had internal background garbage collection mechanisms for certain filesystems (such as FAT32 NTFS APFS) that worked independently of trimming Although this successfully maintained their performance even under operating systems that did not support trim it had the associated drawbacks of increased write amplification and wear of the flash cells[5]TRIM is also widely[citation needed] used on shingled magnetic recording (SMR) hard drives[6]

MWink64

Prominent
Sep 8, 2022
I agree that the prospects are poor but, if nothing has trimmed the drive yet (I know some imaging programs do), it wouldn't hurt to run some file recovery software. All you have to lose is some time. If you want to do this, I highly recommend temporarily disabling your operating system's service that runs the TRIM command. In Windows it's called "defragment and optimize drives." If the drive has been trimmed, you're pretty much out of luck.

Gamer_extreme_111

Commendable
Jul 14, 2020
Yes...Really. This is what backups are for.
Sorry for being slightly out of the topic but it feels so ironic for me i actually made two image backup and the specific file that I'm looking for is the saves of my witcher 3 games which i lost half my saves My image backups contain half the saved games i had and the old drive where it originated which i formatted twice is the one i was hoping to recover from kinda long story hoping you could give any insight but before i backed my pc i deleted witcher 3 in steam so that i could save space for the image backup i didn't thought my save folders in documents would be affected in a weird way were i would lose half my saves i even had another folder in documents where i copied my saves and even there i lost half of my saves to Now i'm stuck with old saves from steam cloud and in my backups and a taste of regret and frustration

Also planning on trying to restore an image and install steam there and install witcher 3 hoping maybe steam could find my saves there

Status
Not open for further replies.