Help in understanding power requirements for EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC GPU

Jun 25, 2018
Hello, I am currently Looking to buy a EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC The requirements for a power supply say 600W or higher.

- I have a 600W power supply. Is it imperative that I also upgrade my power supply, or do you guys think that meeting this requirement will suffice?

If I dont HAVE to buy a new power supply I'd rather spend the money on a better CPU as I am sure my AMD 6300 will more than likely throttle the 1080Ti

I'm grateful for any tips, Thanks in advance!

Current PSU: EVGA 600B 80PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V/EPS12V Active PFC 600W

Current Motherboard: ASUSTek Computer M5A78L-M LX Plus

Processor:
AMD 6300

Solution

Lutfij

Titan
What is the make and model of your current PSU? How old is the PSU? Might want to state your existing full system's specs for us to understand if the PSU was taxed to incur reduction in power output.

FYI, 600W is the power your entire system needs when you populate your rig with a single GTX1080Ti. Having a higher wattage on your PSU leaves buffer space and allows you to hold onto the unit for long.

Jun 25, 2018

Hi, Sorry about that im somewhat new to the whole aspect of building computers. I've listed some specs let me know if that is enough, Thanks - when you said hold onto the unit for long are you speaking about the 1080ti or the psu? And also, what would you recommend I get PSU wise to create this buffer, is there sort of a rule of thumb for the # of wattage I want the buffer to be?

NO, that's not a good PSU.

No way can I recommend powering a GTX 1080TI off of that unit, or any high end GPU.

Here are some good solid units:

Seasonic Focus Plus 650W
EVGA G2 or G3 650W
Corsair RMX 650W

Jun 25, 2018

Hi, Thanks for your answer. What should I be looking at to understand what makes a psu good vs not? And also, do you think its better that I go with the 750 G3 instead of the 650?

Check the Professional reviews:

Thread link here with tons of them.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3612443/power-supply-discussion-thread.html

I have no problem with you going with a 750W G3.

Building a new machine myself, an 8700K machine, already have the parts coming.

Using my GTX 1080 FTW2 in the new build and went with a new Seasonic Prime Titanium Ultra 750W.

Solution