help in windows 8 update. touch screen not working!

thunderlord

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
asus Q500a
8gp
i7 2.2

OS win 8

i was using my touch screen after getting it, and 2 days later it stoped working and i did a restore on it incase and it happened again then i did a device man scan and it found only 1 thing wrong BUT never fixed it. i typeed in touch and pen and FOUND nothing i dont onto the control pan and i never found that option i then gone into to the my computer Prop and it basicly stated it does not have touch and pen enabled..

how do i fix this? i tryed many sites and what they said nothing worked really =(

plz help

Solution
It may be broken requiring an RMA, however I stumbled on this at Amazon so I'll just past it:

"...I finally stumbled upon the solutions to both forms of touch screen failure - the failure upon closing the lid and more semi-permanent failure - are both caused by simple, stupid bugs arising from the particular combination of Asus' touch screen interface design and Windows' USB power management algorithms. If your touch screen is going out when you close the lid, you probably have set the computer's power settings so that it "does nothing" upon closing the lid. Changing this setting to "sleep" - after first restoring touch functionality, of course - fixed the problem instantly and permanently for me, though this will probably only work if...
It may be broken requiring an RMA, however I stumbled on this at Amazon so I'll just past it:

"...I finally stumbled upon the solutions to both forms of touch screen failure - the failure upon closing the lid and more semi-permanent failure - are both caused by simple, stupid bugs arising from the particular combination of Asus' touch screen interface design and Windows' USB power management algorithms. If your touch screen is going out when you close the lid, you probably have set the computer's power settings so that it "does nothing" upon closing the lid. Changing this setting to "sleep" - after first restoring touch functionality, of course - fixed the problem instantly and permanently for me, though this will probably only work if you first go into the Windows Device Manager and find the touch screen device - it's a "USB Input Device" under the "Human Interface Devices" heading - right click and go to "Properties", go to the "Power Management" tab, and uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". The more permanent-seeming touch screen failure was instantly resolved by disabling the "USB Selective Suspend" feature in the power settings and cold-booting. So if you're having touch screen problems, chances are excellent that your touch screen is actually fine, and all you need to do is change all the settings as I've indicated here, cold-booting first if necessary to bring the touch screen back to life before you start. Hope this helps someone! "

Solution

thunderlord

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
after going in there somany times this was the frist time it as flashing on me none stop and i seen in that tab u stated a 2nd option it kept on going (not showing up) off and on none stop threw the flashes. i finly caught it and enabled it and many things opened up because of it and now my touch screen is open i dono y but i finaly got it. thank u..

and yes i do have my lid to do nothing when i close it since i rather it do that so i can just close it and come back W/o reloging in...

it dont give me the option to check or un-check anything in the power save tap in the prop. i gives me the ablity to (i think) wake the system up with the tuch..

eveything else i got done, thank u for the help. it is NOW working

thunderlord

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011

i have noticed one huge thing tho, instead of moving the broswer up or down ect it is only hi lighting things now and not really moving anything unless i have my finger on the scroll slider.. is there anyway to fix this so it works like it worked like B4? (it does press buttens at times but it seems harder for it to understand what i am doing tho...

It sounds like the hardware is fine but there's either a SETTING or GLITCH in your software. Unfortunately, other than the above link I don't have much advice except:

If OTHER software works fine it may be a setting with Internet Explorer itself. Also, see if Chrome or Firefox have touchscreen versions and see if they work.

yuichan88

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013

I encountered the problem of my asus touch screen too~~~ thanks for your answer, its really work.... really helping a lot
thanks

Darren West

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013

I have a Toshiba Satellite touchscreen ultrabook, and had the very same issue. After about 2 weeks without issues I can confirm that this fix does work.

janine15

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013
Just inquire in apple or cellphone repair shop, tell the problem of your phone so that they will know what must be the solution with the problem of your phone. I think the payment is not really expensive for that, because just reading or following instructions in the internet will not really satisfied.

trishi

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013

trishi

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
Hi Darren West I followed all you instructions as I upgraded from windows 8 to windows 8.1 and then my touch screen stopped working!!
However I have 6 x ""USB Input Device"" headings. Which one do I disable?? I went in and checked them all and they all just say microsoft. I have a desktop Pavilion 23. Hope you can help.

Thanks
Trish

sbcalimay

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
Photonboy... you rock! Thanks a ton!

Your solution solved my problem instantly.

jpomagalhaes

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013

I had the some problem with a Asus VivoNotebook S551L after changing Power Managment Options to do nothing when the lid is closed, and then closing the lid.
The solution you quoted from Amazon worked perfectly.
Thank you

jdolson98

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
Photonboy-your description of what caused my Asus Touchscreen to stop working is exactly what happened. I have made all the changes you mention, but I have had trouble restoring functionality, as you state is a key step. Any tips on this item?

bdlckkd

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
Hey I Found a fast simple solution for this, mine too will go eventually everynow and then sometimes if i just push the power button putting it into sleep mode then turning it back on would work but lately it seems that wouldn't work so i've come across this several times and I started playing around and I think I've figured it out. Right click the windows button on the bottom left go to Device Manager, then open up the Human Interface Devices like it said. But in there, there should be a touch screen driver right in there mine says 'HID-Compliant Touch Screen' first i would see if it needs any updates. Then what i did was right clicked it, went to Properties. Go to the Driver tab, click Disable, then just click Enable again. Idk why this happens. Could be just trouble with the computer reading the driver after going to sleep...hope this helps!

Enzy Cruz

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014

valks97

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014
I too am using an ASUS N550JV touch-screen laptop and if you enable the 'USB Input Device' by right clicking on it, going to properties and then clicking on enable, it will resolve not only the touch screen problem, but also the problem of the device manager constantly refreshing (which makes it a little challenging to get to the properties of the USB Input Device in the first place [but doable with careful timing]). Hope that makes sense/helps. I've called ASUS to tell them how I resolved the problem, so hopefully they'll be more knowledgeable about the issue (after staying on the phone with one rep for about an hour and exhausting what he thought were all of the things we could do, he suggested that I backup my notebook and reset my laptop. The dreaded system restore! BUT thank God there was an easier solution and now everything is working fine and ASUS knows about it too!).

meerkat99

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014

I have a toshiba satellite that kept on disabling the touch screen at random times, so I tried this and it worked right after clicking "ok"! Thanks!

Guy Seri

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
hey man! thanks, you saved my day!

Msjkelly28

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

paulj1965

Reputable
May 7, 2014

I found an easier and quicker way,,,simply do a cold reset on your laptop
1,,when you get the touch screen working (i go to "start page keep swiping back an forth and i will come back)
2,,switch off laptop
3,,remove battery for 20mins or so
4 reconnect battery switch on and away you go my laptop is an acer

ahsan6

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

Well Done :) it works.... Thank you.... i ve same model .....

Bird H

Reputable
May 19, 2014