Help installing a Raijintek Triton Water Cooler

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

friendlyJai

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
I have just purchased new components to build a new PC, which includes the following:-

Raijintek Triton AIO Water Cooling Solution Asus M5A99X PRO

R2.0 AMD 990X (Socket AM3+) DDR3 ATX Motherboard Corsair

Carbide 500R Midi Tower Case

I have never installed a Water Cooler before and although seems straight forward the instructions that came with it are terrible. And there are no videos online with instructions for the same Cooler.

Currently I have unscrewed the two black brackets that sit around the CPU so I now have four holes. At the back there is already a silver back plate that comes with the Motherboard. Im a supposed to install the Triton Back Plate over the current silver one or remove it first? Or even use the Silver one instead?

And am I right in assuming the backplate is the one with the rubber attached to one side , the thicker of the two plates. This is not clear in the instructions. And the rubber end would be facing the motherboard.

Sorry if this sounds obvious but I want to get it right as don't want to ruin my system.

Thanks in advance James

Solution
Discard the left amd stock plate completely.
The centre plate goes to the rear of the board (foam to the board) - the right plate is for the front of the board

friendlyJai

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
Yeah, ive just looked and the front doesn't seem to support the 140mm fans. Ive also another problem. The holes for the 140mm slots are smaller than the 120mm ones and holes on the 140mm fan. So what do you use to install them?

Use it for your 200 mm side fan mate - there should be 2 more of those - you can plug your 2 front fans into them. its a non standard connector - only the fans that came in the case will fit it.
There is also a molex somewhere that plugs straight to the PSU to allow you to control that switch for fan & led's

friendlyJai

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
Thanks, yeah I just found a thread with someone with the same problem. That's cool as frees up one of the fan header slots on the motherboard so won't need to use the CPU-OPT.

Ive almost finishing installing the cooler. The instructions are terrible so was easier to just work it out myself. Heatsink installed and just need to mount the fan to the side. Again it doesn't say but im assuming it should be set up to suck ait into it...so the back brackets of the fan would be against the heatsink?

^ yes mate - fan next to the ram slots blowing air into the heatsink
71azFqU-YiL._SL1500_.jpg

Xigmatek label showing as above.

friendlyJai

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
Great, almost done. I also purchased a 5.25Inch Card reader designed to fit in the front. The problem is the corsair case is designed with a lock mechanism to replace having to screw them in but the depth of the card reader does not mach the depth of a DVD Drive so doesn't lock. And there is no holes to line them up. So it would be loose.

Any ideas how to combat that problem?

friendlyJai

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
Ignore my last question about the Card Reader as moving it about revealed a single hole that ive connected and seems to be sufficient for holding it in place.

I can tell you there was not much room on the case for connecting the SATA cables at the back of the HDDs. They protrude out past the case so had to bent the wires at the back down to make them fit. Not a very good design.

Anyway, I think Ive one last question. Looking at my wires in my PSU box ive a power connector that says PERIF (assumable for peripherals) that has two Molex connecters. So ive connected the the front fans and the Card Reader to them but my question is, where do I connect it to on the PSU. The PSU has two possible 6 hole slots labelled SATA and PATA. The instructions don't tell you but am I correct in assuming I connect it to the PATA slot?

Thanks again

friendlyJai

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
Thanks...ive connected it to the PATA.

Now im having problems with connecting the CPU to the PSU. My motherboard has an 8 pin connection that looks like this :-

Where the 'C' is the slightly curved hole and the 'S' is for the Square hole

C S S C
S C C S

However the cable that is plit into two looks like this :-

With the left cable matching the left part of above :-

C S
S C

Bu the right part just being all curves

C C
C C

So wouldn't match up. I tried just connecting the left part only but when I press the power button a light apears and goes off straight away and doesn't power up.

So do I need to buy a different cable or could I possibly have a faulty PSU?

Thanks again

friendlyJai

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
Ive found the problem..I disconnected the power to the card reader and it powers up. I then tried a different SATA socket and then PATA socket making sure in tightly each time but still only boots without it connected.

So could the Card Reader be faulty or could it be something else like a dodgy Sata cable? Or maybe the Sata cable not connected securely. As would like to keep it. Maybe I should try a brand new Sata cable