[SOLVED] Help installing top mouted fans from AIO cooler

Kusky

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2013
I have a kraken x52 I'm installing in the 460x case. As people have said top mouting doesnt have much room at all for a for both radiator and fans, so front mounted is better. In the front of the case i have 3 RGB fans already installed though, so I'm just going to install the radiator onto them and then use the two fans that came with the cooler for exhaust at the top of the case. However there are no instructions to install the fans alone into the case so I'm not sure which screw to use. Each of the screws seems to just fall through the fan holes, as I guess theyre supposed to screw into the radiator and just fall through the fans. Are there any standard type of screws I should be looking for that are for mounting fans alone? I could search around with what came with the case if so.

Solution
Most AIOs that I've used only come with enough screws to secure the fans they come with (single sided) so you'll need to get 4 additional screws per fan that you install on the opposite side.

I believe it's going to be a #6-32 screw (that's pretty common in computers) but just in case, take one of the 4 original AIO screws with you to the hardware store. All hardware stores have a bolt sizer by their fasteners. Screw your bolt into the sizer to find out what size it is.

If your RGB fans can produce enough static pressure to push air through the rad, you may not need the kraken fans on the pull side. However, rads are so restrictive that I like using push+pull (at the expense of more noise), otherwise it seems hardly any air...
Most AIOs that I've used only come with enough screws to secure the fans they come with (single sided) so you'll need to get 4 additional screws per fan that you install on the opposite side.

I believe it's going to be a #6-32 screw (that's pretty common in computers) but just in case, take one of the 4 original AIO screws with you to the hardware store. All hardware stores have a bolt sizer by their fasteners. Screw your bolt into the sizer to find out what size it is.

If your RGB fans can produce enough static pressure to push air through the rad, you may not need the kraken fans on the pull side. However, rads are so restrictive that I like using push+pull (at the expense of more noise), otherwise it seems hardly any air goes through, even with static pressure fans. Play around with unplugging the pull fans amds stress testing.
At least one of your front RGB fans won't be restricted by the rad (preferably the bottom one), so that's good. You'll get some air into the case for the GPU.

Solution

Kusky

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2013

The thing is, the AIO fans have rubber screw holes, no threads. So idk how people manage to screw them on (by themselves without radiator) with what comes with their computer.