[Help] Internet slower in one pc than the other

eeeddr

Reputable
May 24, 2014
Helo, my new optic fiber internet was installed today and i noticed i was not getting the same values as my brother on speedtest, he was getting download speeds around 45mb/s while i was only getting 15, we are both connected via cable directly to the router and we even tried to swich cables to see if it worked, it stayed the same, i was wondering why is this happening ?
My pc is a HP Pavillion with an msi r6670 graphics card running windows 8.1 and my brothers pc was made by parts, i can give you the parts list or specific ones if you want, and it's also running windows 8.1.

BTW: I just formated my pc and it's still the same so it's not malware

hammy434

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
ive got the same problem. my desktop gets slow speeds and my laptop... and any other device in my house, gets fast speeds. plz let me know if u ever solved it. i think it might simply be a hardware problem but one thing i havent tried is testing it on a different network... cause that means i have to bring my whole computer to a friends house and that requires effort :L

i think it might be a motherboard problem. i dont see what other component would cause this.

this happened to me on windows 8.1 and windows 7. i also tried clean install & nothing happened.
ive tried ethernet & wifi. no difference. when i moved wifi to another pc, i got full speed. vs. crap speeds on this comp.
i tried a clean boot and a safe mode with networking boot.
ive tried a virus scan.
ive tried reinstalling chipset & lan drivers.
ive tried restarting router.
ive tried updating bios.

ive looked through google & a few threads on here. the only solved threads were noobs which for example had their computer on wireless & far from router....

ive seen a few people post about this and its easy to find on google so i dont see why it can't be solved. i think it might be a hardware problem but idk which thing to replace - everyones specs seem to be completely different to each others when they have this issue...

my computer has: intel core i7 4770k, 8gb crucial ballistix ram, 1tb seagate hdd, nvidia geforce gtx 680 (palit jetstream, 4gb), coolermaster gx power supply, coolermaster case, samsung (tsstcorp) dvd drive, gigabyte z87x-d3h motherboard.

also in my case the internet speed varies a lot, and the download speed is the most severely affected, with upload staying the same most of the time and ping staying low every time. just download gets really slow sometimes. it varies a lot. my usual speeds (on my laptop or any other computer in my house) are 25-28mb down, 5mb up. on my computer i get 0.5-18mb down & 1.5-5mb up my most recent tests: desktop: 13mb down, 5mb up. laptop: 28mb down, 5mb up (desktop is the computer im having the problem with obviously).

anyway those are the things ive tried and hope u fix it soon. also if uve fixed it plz tell me how. i dont see why theres no solution when this issue is quite common. if the solution was just "buy a new motherboard" or something as annoying as that id be happy... because id know it would be solved if i did that. but idk whats causing it.

Spov

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
Maybe it is because your brother has a better Internet lan port ? Some new motherboards have better lan ports and can therefore allocate more usage to themselves to receive faster speeds.

johnsonma

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

Have you tried buying a cheap wifi adapter or pci lan card to see if that works?

sandylee522

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
You can also go into Device Manager and open up the network cards devices.
There should be an option in there when you right-click the network card to select Speed or duplex speed. Change it to 1gb if it lets you or to auto.