[SOLVED] Help...Is my CPU possessed..?

Migdecsag

Honorable
Sep 9, 2015
Big Hello to everyone...
So...i have an i7-6700K on a MSI Z170A Gaming M7 which i built back in 2016 and was until a few days ago running without problems...
It normally sits at 3-4% CPU usage and 38-39º when idle...as of a few days ago i noticed that when left on idle after about 10 mins i hear
the fans kick in and them temp goes up to 60-61º as if i were gaming but nothing is running.
Now the spooky part is when i open task manager i briefly get to see that CPU usage is at 87-97% and within a blink the usage goes back to 3-4%
and the temp goes back to normal so i dont get to see which process is hogging the CPU.
Things i've tried thinking maybe some minning virus and after searching the web...

Downloaded and ran....Malwarebytes and ADW Cleaner and apart from a couple of false positives for game trainers (deleted just in case) nothing showed up.
Also tried some CMD commands found on youtube for fixing the so called 100% CPU Utilization Bug but no joy...

Also it seems that if i leave task manager open it does'nt happen so that's my solution for the now...
Please any help would be welcome and Thanks in advance to all...

Solution
D
If you have been using a MSI M7 since 2016 with no issues up till now color me impressed. We had nothing but issues with those motherboards.
D

Deleted member 362816

If you have been using a MSI M7 since 2016 with no issues up till now color me impressed. We had nothing but issues with those motherboards.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
it could be but if they leave PC idling for a few hours with task manager open and the process still doesn't occur, it could be a miner.

not sure if this would help: could start PC up and leave it bios for a few hours, it might be the ssd/nvme needs to run trim.

Jul 6, 2022
It sounds like you need more data to identify what's happening. I would run perfmon and run a custom data collector set for 24-48 hours. Ticking the box "Event trace data" would be beneficial.

Look into Performance Monitor and all of the logging data it can do, it's extremely useful.

@Migdecsag
Windows has a built in memory testing program that it runs when a computer is idle. Your problem sounds a lot like that.

It will start running when your computer has been idle for about 10 minutes. If you interrupt it, it will immediately stop. It will resume running again the next time your computer is idle.

In the Task Scheduler go to Microsoft / Windows / Memory Diagnostic to disable this feature.

dbJ4rXd.png

Last edited:

Migdecsag

Honorable
Sep 9, 2015
@Migdecsag
Windows has a built in memory testing program that it runs when a computer is idle. Your problem sounds a lot like that.

It will start running when your computer has been idle for about 10 minutes. If you interrupt it, it will immediately stop. It will resume running again the next time your computer is idle.

In the Task Scheduler go to Microsoft / Windows / Memory Diagnostic to disable this feature.

dbJ4rXd.png
Thanks...will try this out as soon as i get home and cross my fingers...

Migdecsag

Honorable
Sep 9, 2015
It sounds like you need more data to identify what's happening. I would run perfmon and run a custom data collector set for 24-48 hours. Ticking the box "Event trace data" would be beneficial.

Look into Performance Monitor and all of the logging data it can do, it's extremely useful.
Will be watching a tutorial on how to use this ASAP...was using Process Explorer but like Task Manager when i open the app the problem does'nt occur..Thank you for this...

Colif

Win 11 Master

But the memory tester built into windows wouldn't hide itself from task manager if you had it open and idling.

So i have my doubts about that.
I don't think I ever seen the memory tester run and PC idles a lot.

event tracing might find it.

Reactions: KyaraM

Migdecsag

Honorable
Sep 9, 2015
it could be but if they leave PC idling for a few hours with task manager open and the process still doesn't occur, it could be a miner.

not sure if this would help: could start PC up and leave it bios for a few hours, it might be the ssd/nvme needs to run trim.
Ok so i recently added a 970 EVO Plus 1TB Nvme to my build...which brings the total score to 2 x SSD and 2 x Nvme in my rig.
So i will definately try this out....Thank you for the help....