[Help] Is my GPU dead?

May 12, 2018
My PC crashed yesterday while I was playing a game, it had weird artifacts on the screen.
When I rebooted all the LEDs and fans started normally, GPU fans were spinning too. The CPU fan was running properly too, but there wasn't any beep and no display on the screen. I removed and reinstalled my GPU, cleared CMOS, removed and reinstalled my CPU by applying new thermal paste. Nothing has worked.
One thing to note that my PC did boot up on the onboard graphics. So thinking it was definitely a faulty GPU I replaced it with another GPU but still there was no display.... Can this be a PSU issue? Is my GPU dead? Or is my PCIe slot toasted? (I only have 1 PCIe slot)

Solution
If the fans started spinning on the card and all lights are on we know that power is getting through to the card through the PCI-e. This doesn't mean that slot is not fried but it is a good sign. I know that this sound stupid but is your monitor cable hooked up to your motherboard or video card. Also, try to download GPU -Z to see if the card is even recognized and outputting. If it is a PSU issue you can try performing the paperclip test (tutorials online). If it is a PSU issue it might only be a faulty cable instead of the actual generator unit. Reply to me if none of that worked. Hope this helped

xander.dec

Reputable
May 13, 2018
If the fans started spinning on the card and all lights are on we know that power is getting through to the card through the PCI-e. This doesn't mean that slot is not fried but it is a good sign. I know that this sound stupid but is your monitor cable hooked up to your motherboard or video card. Also, try to download GPU -Z to see if the card is even recognized and outputting. If it is a PSU issue you can try performing the paperclip test (tutorials online). If it is a PSU issue it might only be a faulty cable instead of the actual generator unit. Reply to me if none of that worked. Hope this helped

Solution

jatin3489

Commendable
May 5, 2018

Well the artifacts are mostly happened if you try to overclock your gpu and its not stable or your gpu is dying !

g-unit1111

Titan

Or it could also not be getting enough power. If you're going to overclock your GPU and it's not getting enough power supplied to it, things like this will happen. There's lots of factors that could be at play here before determining whether or not it's a dead GPU. It could be a dead or bad PSU, it could be that the GPU isn't getting enough power, it could be a driver issue, it could be a Windows issue, it could be an overclocking issue, so many possibilities here.